The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Once Again, Jimmy Buffett Has Shown Me The Way

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I spent part of yesterday wrapping up my law practice now that the Divorce from Hell is now over. It was just a mater of closing out the last file, sending the closing letter to the client, and contacting my insurance agent about my malpractice insurance. As I was working, Jimmy Buffett was singing "Changes in Attitude, Changes in Latitudes". It was the inspiration for my Present Thought located on the sidebar.

That's was pretty much it. No big fanfare, no tears.

I wrote a series of posts about leaving the legal profession last year. The decision to walk away was not easy. I thought I would have wrapped up much sooner. I think I wrote that I had officially closed the practice in December 2005, but the Divorce from Hell changed all that. Plus, it hard to let go of something that is a huge part of who you are. Something that you worked and sacrificed a great deal to achieve.

Don't get me wrong, I have some great memories of my stint as a practicing attorney. I have met some great people, who are not only peers but friends. I have also met some people that I honestly believe there is a special place in Hell earmarked for them. I have helped some people who really needed a voice. I have also given hell to some people who really needed to hear it.

And I am not going to lie, I made good money. But it was never about the money. Money means nothing when your soul isn't in it.

So, that's it. I plan to keep my licence current, just in case. But as far as practicing goes, that's all folks.

But, it has been one hell of a ride.

6 comments:

Weezy said...

gotta love JB. My latest has been "Pacing the Cage"

Anonymous said...

I know it's a big deal to let that part of your life go. Keeping the license is good. I'm officially retired so I don't even have to pay anything. :) I love that. I really haven't looked back. It's a bittersweet thing.

I absolutely KNOW better things are headed your way.

Anonymous said...

congrats on being done. i agree with prisca that better things are coming!

comebacknikki said...

Congratulations! :)

Anonymous said...

I am happy for you! :) I will add my sentiment, along with prisca and justme- better things are coming your way. :)

Dezdmona said...

Good for you.

I "retired" from practicing psychology 8 years ago (but still keep my license current) and have never looked back.

Some people never find it, some only pretend
But me, I just want to live happily ever after
Every now and then

~JB

Subscribe