The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, June 23, 2006

Why Me???

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday, I had a category 7 migraine. It hurt to move. So, I spent the day in bad with the shades drawn and wearing an eye mask and ear plugs. Like all migraine suffers, I track what may have caused it. I think it was a combination of a few things:

1. The change in barometric pressure. The weather here has been very volatile. Hazy, hot and humid one day, then cool and damp the next. This does not help my sinuses either.

2. Stress. Work has been driving me crazy. I just can't get into gear this semester. Teaching three classes back to back just does not work for me, although I do like the idea of only working two days a week. Students are irritating me more than they usually do.

Husband's job situation is also a source of stress for both of us. Every two weeks, the company has a meeting to discuss the status of the sell off. The problem is that the powers that be do not say ANYTHING constructive of helpful that would allow the employees to plan their lives. Yesterday, Husband said that the HMFIC of his division sent an email stating that he was canceling the update meetings, because someone was leaking the information to the press. Husband said that the HMFIC"s presentation, word for word including Power Point slides, was reprinted in an industry website prior to the meetings! So, now we won't know anything until the company makes the announcement.

I should not be worried. We have a sizable war chest, just in case. Husband said that he will receive very large severance package, so that helps. We have no significant debt; the house will be paid off in five years and I only have one year of student loan payments left. It's just the uncertainty.

3. Conversation with my mom.
I have not blogged much about my family, only because that could take up a separate blog. She spent the entire conversation complaining that her oncologist is an idiot; she hates her mediation and wants to stop radiation treatment. Then it was on to my brother, who does not acknowledge the child he had as a result of an affair. My brother has not spoken to my mom or me for two years. Plus, we are not allowed to see my brother's children because both my mom and I have a relationship with his son, who is only 3 years old. Then she blasted me for not being understanding about the "plight" of my students and I should be more sensitive.

Geez...It's like I have a giant "Kick Me" sign on my back.

So, now it's Friday. My house is a mess. I have not worked out since Tuesday. I am behind on my lectures and grading. I have the "benadryl hangover" from the Imatrex. And the Boy is barking up a storm.

Please forgive my ranting, bitching and feeling sorry for myself.

7 comments:

Alice said...

Don't worry -- you deserve a chance to vent and we are here to listen and offer support. Ice cream brightened your day a little last time, didn't it? Try it now?

betty said...

I'm sorry to hear about your miraine. My mom suffers them regularly and it's very draining. Like a whole day lost down the drain. I'm glad hte Imitrex worked and you're getting back on your feet. If it's a triger season for you right now, I had a friend who would take one excedrin every day and it worked (most of the time) as migraine prevention. Just a thought.

Jesse said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Headaches are terrible.

I get headaches that I think might be migraines, but don't know for sure...

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone for you kind words!!

Alice: I am all out of ice cream!

drd: Welcome and thanks for the well wishes!

Betty: Where is your blog?? I hope all is well. Thanks for checking in!!! Maybe I will try the Excedrin idea.

Jesse: Migraines are like someone taking an ice pick and stabbing you in the side of the head over and over again. The pain is so bad you just want someone to put you out of your misery. Flashes of light and sensitivity to light and sound are also part of migraine hell. And I will spare you the details about nausea!

Jesse said...

Heh, yeah, I am nearly sure, but sans diagnosis will not maitain 100% certainty, that I do have migraines. I get the visual distortions. The horrible pain, light sensitivity, etc... and occasionally the vomitting (my last headache had this in spades). But that has become increasingly rare as I have gotten older.

jo(e) said...

Changes in barometric pressure cause migraines for me. Especially when combined with stress.

When I get a migraine, I take a pillow and quilt and go inside the closet and lie down. I just can't stand any noise or light.

And the nausea ... ugh.

Anonymous said...

weather-related migraines are a pain--no pun--you can't control the barometric pressure, but it's like a having a knife stuck in your head.
I teach two classes back to back and occassionally stagger out of the room. Hang in there--the semester will end.

Subscribe