The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Better Days

Posted by Seeking Solace |

It's amazing what a workout, some strawberry ice cream with sliced strawberries and a good night sleep will do for your mood. I am in a better mood, despite the garbage that I encountered at the beginning of the week.

Today, I have to revamp the research project for the Law and Ethics course. The students were disappointed that the mock trial is cancelled. But their disappointment is directed at their classmates, not at me. I don't mind changing the project too much. It will be similar to the one I use in Survey of Law. So the hardest part will be finding cases for the students to analyze.

The student I wrote about in the last post, the guy who did not read the syllabus, said that the only reason he comes to class is because we were doing a mock trial and he wanted to see how it would turn out. Geez, I did not know I was also supposed to provide entertainment in addition to educating. Oh well, I am sure I have seen the last of him now that the mock trial is in the crapper.

You have to laugh at this shit. And it is truly shit.

5 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

Ice cream DOES cure all.

I'm sorry you're not having a good summer school teaching experience. :(

betty said...

What amazes me is what kind of information students think it's ok to tell teachers. Students are always telling me how they didn't come to class because they were on the phone with a friend or that they only wrote the paper in one hour just before it was due or, well, any variety of comments the show me how much they really care about the class.

Why don't they just PRETEND that our class is THE MOST important one they have EVER taken? Lie to us (about the little things). For me, that would probaly get them farther (unless I figured out they were lying, I guess).

I hope the other students in your class do something awesome to help to offset these crappy ones.

Abbey said...

I think that students admit to as much as they do either because 1) they don't care enough to play the game or 2) they see us as approachable.

I guess the guy looking for entertainment didn't catch the part in the first class where the students had a role (i.e., they are the mock trial).

Anonymous said...

I just hope that they continue the candor into the interview process - can you picture "Oh man was I wassssteddd last night - sorry for missing the interview. What do you mean I don't get the job???"

Alice said...

Oh, yeah -- ice cream does cure all! :) I had a pretty bad day myself and succumbed to a serving of Godiva Raspberry Dark Chocolate. Feeling much better!

Subscribe