The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

What Nerve!

Posted by Seeking Solace |

The student who wanted to change her research case for Survey of Law told me that the reason why she changed it was because she talked to an attorney, who told her that the case the student selected was dumb and I should not have assigned it.

The student had selected Katz v. United States. This is a great case which deals with whether the government can place a wiretap on a public pay phone. This case is important given the recent wiretap controversy. How can this attorney say that that case is dumb? Who the hell does she think she is?

Furthermore, what business is it of this attorney to say anything about the cases I use? I spend a significant amount of time researching cases to determine if they are interesting for the students and not too difficult to understand. Plus, I don't assign the cases. The students choose from a list. I explain each case before the students choose them so they have a better idea of what each case is about.

I don't know if I am going to let the student change the case or not. If I do, what is the chance that this person will "help" this student? I should find out who this attorney is and give her a piece of my mind!


What fucking nerve!

6 comments:

Ianqui said...

I'm not necessarily one to stick up for attorneys, but on the other hand, it's possible that the student...ahem...misrepresented what the attorney said. You'll probably never know :)

Psycgirl said...

How obnoxious. The attorney is probably her rich daddy. (Excuse my cynicism)

Anonymous said...

Could said student have instead found a paper similar to what they would have to do and made up the lawyer?

Seeking Solace said...

The thought of a made up lawyer has crossed my mind. It would not surprise me in the least.

Arbitrista said...

Didn't you hear? Civil liberties are passe!

Seeking Solace said...

Publius: Silly me!! I guess the Constitution is just that document written on brown paper!

Subscribe