The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, June 29, 2006

For Daddy

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Today is the 18th anniversary of my father's death. I was only 20 years old when my father died. My dad was only 46 years old.

He was the type of person who always had a smile on his face. He was the person who would give you his last dollar because you needed it. People in my hometown just admired him for his generosity and kind nature. He was the person who volunteered to coach the baseball team, even though his son was not playing. He once took the entire cast of the play I was in my senior year of high school out for pizza because he loved the show we did. He taught me the importance of generosity, kindness and respect.

I was the textbook Daddy's Girl. We just connected. We had the same easy-going personality. I truly believe that if it was not for the fact that I look like my dad, I would swear I was adopted! I can count on three fingers the number of times he spanked me. He never raised his voice to me. All he had to say was "I am disappointed in you." I got the message. He expected me to do my best, no matter how difficult the task.

He always made me laugh. My best friend, Piglet, still remembers when we were sixteen and wanted to see "Purple Rain". Of course, one needed a parent to go with you to an R rated movie. So, my date takes Piglet and me to the movie theater. He walks up to the ticket girl. He points to me and says "This is my biological daughter." He points to Piglet and says "This is my daughter by marriage." Now, you have to understand that my father was a 6 foot 4 inch, 225 pound Black man. I am Biracial and Piglet is White! No one at the theater was going to argue with him!

My dad was very protective of me. I grew up in what would be considered the "Hood. It was a pretty rough area. My dad never let me play with the girls in the 'Hood. Consequently, the girls in the "Hood were very mean to me and thought I was stuck up and "acting White". I never understood it at the time. As I got older, I realized that he was only trying to protect me from the perils of the streets. Those same girls often got in trouble with the law, used drugs and/or got pregnant at a young age. Most of them are still in the 'Hood today and are still doing the same things. Lesson realized.

Sometimes I wonder if he knew that he was going to die. Prior to his death, Husband said that my dad pulled him aside and had a conversation with him. Now Husband and I had only been dating for about a year at that time. Husband told me that my dad approved of him and asked that Husband take care of his little girl. My aunt said that the day before my dad died, she talked to him on the phone. She said that all he talked about was me. Not my brother, my mom or any other family member, just me.

To this day, I can't look at photos of him without crying. I know that it was just his time, but I feel cheated. When I think of all the milestones in my life, my marriage, graduating from college, grad school and law school and being sworn in as an attorney, my dad was not there. I know some of you will say "but he was there in spirit" or "He was looking down on you." But it is just not the same. There is just this little void. I wonder what things would be like had he lived. Would I have left my hometown? Would I have decided to have children? Not that any of these things is dependant on my dad, but it makes me wonder what choices I would have made.

But I know he is proud of me.

And I miss him.

14 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

This post made me cry. I'm so happy that you had such a positive relationship with your father. You are right -- your dad is proud of you.

sheepish said...

He sounds like a trule wonderful man, and what lovely memories you have of him. Thank you for sharing some of them.

Abbey said...

There's a country song related to this that makes me cry everytime I hear it. Like you, I lost a family member that meant the world to me and it saddens me that she won't be at so many of my own milestones.

The song is "There are holes in the floor of heaven" by Collin Raye.

Hope you have a chance to do something today that celebrates your memory of your dad.

Anonymous said...

A man able to be that kind of father to a little girl is worth knowing and remembering. It's easy to see why you miss him so much. No life event could be the same without him.

Anonymous said...

Sweetheart, what a beautiful and well written post. Thinking of you, much love xxx

sunnyacre said...

My heart goes out to you on this very difficult day.

Anonymous said...

A very heartfelt and beautiful post. I can see why this would be a tough day.

jo(e) said...

What a beautiful tribute to your father.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

What a sweet and sad post. I often miss my dad on those milestone days. When I got my BA my hubby made sure to leave an empty seat for my dad--- he didn't tell mom or step-dad, he just moved down a seat...

Alice said...

Many hugs...

Addy N. said...

It sounds like you had a great dad- it's sad that you lost him so early. My husband lost his father when he was 17 and although he never talks about it, I know he is always a little down on the anniversary of his death. I have a wonderful stepdad, who I don't look forward to losing- his dad lived into his 90s, but since my stepdad is a smoker- I worry about him. (maybe I'll explain about my dad and why I haven't mentioned him on my blog some other time)

Take care

Mel said...

what a moving post. The anniversary of my father's death always is a strange day. It's good you have good memories.

Anonymous said...

What a gift it is to have had someone that wonderful in your life, and how sad to have lost him too early.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
» »

Subscribe