The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, February 20, 2006

Still Cold

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Today, the temperature has jumped to 17 degrees. It doesn’t feel any warmer, though. I got a text message from GML last night. She just arrived home from a week in Jamaica. Talk about a temperature shock. When she left sunny Jamaica, it was 85 degrees. When she arrived in sunny Lake Effect Snow Central, it was 10 degrees. Yikes.

I have the day off today for the President’s Day holiday. I got to sleep until 8:00, before the Boy gave me my wake up call. Oh well. At least I can get a jump on today’s agenda.

I need to work on my lecture notes for Employment Law. As you all know, this course has been a persistent thorn in my side all semester. I have sent emails and memos to administrators explaining the issues that I have observed with this course and suggestions on how to make the course more effective.(Yes, the memos and emails were very respectful) I finally found someone who was willing to listen. Last Friday, I met with the Program Director, who agreed with my assessments. He asked me if I would review textbooks and put together a new curriculum for the course. The bonus is that I will get paid for my efforts….Woohooo!!!!!

This is a major deal. Usually, no one listens to adjuncts at my college. I am sure that many of my fellow adjuncts would give me a big “Amen” on that statement. Why are adjuncts treated as second class citizens? Don’t administrators realize that adjuncts are the backbone of the collegiate teaching system?

Ok, enough ranting. I need to do some work. If I am good, I can go shopping later!

Ps: Thanks for the comments about my vacation dilemma. We are leaning toward Aruba. But suggestions on my Vacation Blues post are still welcome.

1 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

I am glad you are getting paid for the course development efforts. I think this is a very good thing. You deserve it. I agree that adjuncts typically do not get treated well. I hired an adjunct to teach another section of a course that I designed that got overloaded, and I was not at all sure how I handled the situation. I wanted to meet with her enough for her to feel supported and so that she wouldn't have to do too much extra work for the (little bit of) money she was getting paid, yet I didn't want to require too much of her time in meetings... I gave her my lesson plans and assignment descriptions and grading rubrics in case she wanted to use them, but didn't demand that she had to use them, in case it was harder to teach with someone else's stuff. It was hard to know how to be supportive, but I did try!!

If you do go shopping, please do share your purchases!

Subscribe