The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Vacation Blues

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday, I did nothing. Well, not nothing, but nothing extremely productive. It’s kind of hard to have any motivation when it’s 8 degrees outside. The Boy had a blast outside. He was rolling around in the snow, completely oblivious to the fact that is was bitterly cold. (Note to self. Consider purchasing a digital camera. The Boy rolling in the snow was such a blogworthy moment).

Husband and I are trying to decide where we want to go for vacation. The whole vacation thing is a source of tension. Last year, I made a huge compromise on our vacation. I agreed to go on a “group vacation” with Husband and his three best friends and their families, which totaled 13 people. Try organizing anything with 13 people and you are going to have chaos, especially when five of the 13 are children. Husband and I do not have children. One night we had to wait two hours outside a restaurant before we could be seated. Seeing the heads of five children spin like Linda Blair would case anyone to consider sterilization.

Don’t get me wrong, we did have a nice time. And the kids were relatively well behaved, so don’t think I am a child hater or anything. (I do enjoy children so long as they belong to someone else). But my idea of a vacation is a stress free time where the hardest decision I have to make is margarita or mai tai.

So, this year, we are doing the group thing again in the summer. But Husband has agreed that we will go on a separate vacation in April. I have a week off between winter and spring semesters, so this would be the best time to go. Plus, I am dying to get out of Dodge. But deciding where to go is driving us crazy. So far, these are our choices

Hawaii, we went two years ago and I am DYING to go back, but Husband complains that it would be too expensive.

Aruba, as long as no one gets kidnapped.

Florida, specifically Siesta Beach, which is on the Gulf side near Sarasota. But then there is the Spring Break-Easter issue of crowds

Cruise, but we are concerned that we would feel rushed to see things at each port.

St. Thomas, but there is some issues about being hustled when it comes to transportation. We like to explore on our own.

Any thoughts out there on where to go? Has anyone gone to any of these sites and could provide some insight?

7 comments:

Ianqui said...

I'm having a similar dilemma. Hmmm, maybe I'll post on it too.

We've been dying to go to St. Thomas for a long time. It has a national park! We're really big national park aficionados.

sheepish said...

Group vacations don't sound like fun, especially with a ton of other people's kids.

Having been to exactly none of the places you list, I would choose Hawaii (Kauai) or St. Thomas. My brother & his wife honeymooned in St. John and could not stop talking about how great it was.

Anonymous said...

St. Thomas is great, but rent a car. You can do a really nice day trip to St. John from there. St. John is absolutely gorgeous, but more expensive to stay on than St. Thomas.

Aruba is one of the safest places you can go, despite the Natalee-media frenzy. I'm probably going there again this summer.

Also consider St. Martin. It is really my favorite of the islands we've stayed on. It's gorgeous, the people are the nicest, and the mix of cultures is wonderful. The only reason we don't go to St. Martin all the time is because there isn't good snorkeling. But the beaches are beautiful, and the food is great.

Unknown said...

Cruise? Does that mean going to visit Tom Cruise? :)

I vote Hawaii (maui or kauai). I'm not a huge fan of florida, but I do like Disneyworld! What about the South Carolina coast? It's supposedly gorgeous.

If you aren't hell bent on warmth, I love the Oregon coast (yachats, astoria), as well as parts of the california coast (carmel, monterey, and much more northern). Yosemite is also gorgeous this time of year.

Or how about Costa Rica? The Coppola's have an eco-lodge there that looks gorgeous.

Spain? Majorca?

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone for the input. I think we are leaning toward Aruba.

Shrinky: We are going to Nags Head for the group vacation. We went there last year and loved the beaches. Oregon and Yosemite sound nice; Husband toured Yosemite a few years ago and has some fabulous photos.

Pi and Sheepish: We considered St. Thomas, but I hear that a car is a necessary. We would like to go to a place where we can walk to shopping, food and entertainment, and I have read that taxis and public transport in St. Thomas can be a nightmare.

BrightStar (B*) said...

you totally need a digital camera. That way you can have a Flickr site and share your pics and photo blog! Please get one.

"But my idea of a vacation is a stress free time where the hardest decision I have to make is margarita or mai tai."

Hell, yes! I remember taking a vacation to an isolated beach town in Mexico. I rented a condo with some friends. I liked saying that my biggest decision was whether to have the beer on the balcony or out on my towel on the beach.

I've wanted to go to St. Lucia for a while. I have a friend who is from there.

SoonToBeEx and I went to Oregon for our honeymoon, actually. Columbia River Gorge area and then the coast. I liked it very much.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

From the northeast, you have some great options..

1) London -- you can do a week pretty easily from that side of the country. I hear London in early spring isn't too expensive and nice.

2) Washington DC -- you can do all the culture, take some time on Chesapeake bay and not have to travel too far...

3) San Francisco -- I don't need to say too much except... amazing city, great landscape etc..

4) Portland, OR -- Oregon Coast -- not their high season so you can get a good rate on a place on the coast -- We are looking for someplace that has ocean views and wireless internet to sleep 4-6 for $150.00/night... you can blog AND look at the ocean.

Subscribe