The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ain't Too Proud to Beg

Posted by Seeking Solace |

You would think that students would pay attention when another student is told that he or she cannot submit a late paper…

Critical Thinking, 8:30 AM

Female Student: Miss, I know it’s late, but I would like to turn my essay.
Seeking Solace: I do not accept late papers.
FS: I know, but I was hoping you would let me turn it in.
SS: You were in class on Monday, why didn’t you turn it in?
FS: I was having trouble with the topic. That’s why it’s late.
SS: Why didn’t you say something to me on Monday or last week when I assigned the essay? If you were having problems, I would have helped you.
FS: I don’t know, but please can I turn it in?
SS: Absolutely not. You were present when I told Repeat Offender that I would not accept his essay which was an hour late. So what makes you think I am going to accept your essay which is TWO DAYS LATE!

Female student pouts for the entire class. At the end of class, she stops me in the hall.

FS: Please professor, I promise this will never happen again.
SS: The answer is still no.
FS: Please, this is the only time I will be late with an assignment!
SS: No
FS Please?
SS: No
PS: Please?
SS: No!
FS: PLEASE??!
SS: NO!!! DON’T ASK ME AGAIN!!!!

And she didn’t. She took her paper and left in a huff.

This student honestly thought that if she begged, I would break.

Yeah, right.

8 comments:

*statgirl* said...

Oh my...how did you avoid breaking into a sprint to get away from her??

sheepish said...

I'm surprised that your "don't ask me again" had any effect.

Anonymous said...

Well, whining probably worked with her parents and teachers before college, so she thought it would with you, too.

In my syllabus is says, in italics, that I do not accept papers turned in by email. Well, my students had papers due
Monday. I have had three students email their papers rather than bothering to show up to turn them in. As expected, none of them are any good, anyway. Still, I won't grade them.

Seeking Solace said...

Astroprof: I should not allow students to email papers. Often they do not know how to send an attachment, so they type their paper as a message.

Statgirl: I wanted to run, but she had me cornered!

Sheepish: What I didn’t mention is that I also gave her that look that my mother used to give when I would go a little too far with the “please”.

UltimateWriter said...

It's a good life lesson for meeting deadlines. Also, I suppose communicating with you earlier would have been the appropriate thing to do.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I woulda caved... Well done!

Ursula said...

Just curious, but..."Miss"? Not "Ma'am"? I ma'am my profs, nor do I think they'd take it kindly if I used "Miss" instead.

Perfesser Slaughter said...

I am so totally wimpish when it comes to this. You're my hero.
Peter

Subscribe