The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Maybe Dylan Can Help

Posted by Seeking Solace |

There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief
There’s too much confusion
I can’t get no relief.

All Along the Watchtower, written by Bob Dylan
As performed by Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland, MCA (1968).

Dylan got it right. There is just too much confusion.

I thought I would get some guidance on this philosophy statement. So I asked my boss for some insight. I explained my dilemma. How can I express my values and goals when I have admissions and academics undermining my philosophy in the name of retention?

She looked my dead in the face and said. “Oh, don’t worry about that.” “Retention does not matter here.”

WHAAAAT? You mean all this bitching and moaning about retention means nothing at all? Does this mean I can ignore the voices that say, forget your values and goals, you are the master of your own domain?

Truth is; I don’t think my boss fully understands the dynamic at play. The way I see it, how can you implement your values and beliefs when someone is telling you that your values and belief interfere with the retention goals of the school? If you are someone like me who requires accountability, hard work and responsibility, you are interfering with retention, because you do not “understand” the various issues that the students have. End result: you’re not playing by their rules. But if you cater to their needs and egos, you’re doing your job and get the prize.

So the choice is: play the game and lie my ass off, or stick to my guns and endure the wrath of everyone I offend?

I wonder if Dylan has any advice…

0 comments:

Subscribe