The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, June 04, 2007

Music Monday: AM Classics

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I watched VH1's The 40 Most Softsational Rock Songs last night. Boy did that take me back to the days of my pink bike with the banana seat, playing kick-ball in the backyard and of course, AM radio! How many of these do you remember? (It only counts if you were around when these songs were released and you heard them on your parent's AM radio!)

  • Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes
  • Afternoon Delight by Starland Vocal Band (So cheesy!)
  • Still the One by Orleans
  • Rich Girl by Hall and Oats (One of the commentators said that everyone has a Hall and Oats song on their Ipod. It's true!)
  • If You Leave Me Now by Chicago
  • This Is It by Kenny Loggins
  • Kodachrome by Paul Simon
  • Summer Breeze by Seals and Crofts
  • Cat's in the Cradle by Harry Chapin
  • Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks
  • Peace Train by Cat Stevens
  • Horse with No Name by America
  • Help Me by Joni Mitchell
  • Mandy by Barry Manilow (Anything by that guy is a safe bet!)
  • At Seventeen by Janis Ian

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have no Hall and Oates on my ipod!

I have no memories of any of those songs That's not to say I don't know some of them - I do - but I think my knowing them is more from those commercials for easy listening records!

A song that is totally evocative of a childhood memory is 'winter spring summer and fall, all ya gotta do is call" - is that Captain and Tenille? I don't know if I ever actually heard the song - but my friends and I had a roller skating dance routine to it when I was really little.

Anonymous said...

I know every song on that list (and have several from Yahoo! Music) with the following exception: "At Seventeen".

Oh- Skrinky Kitten: That's James Taylor's "Handy Man"

I am a TOTAL 70s music connoisseur! Most of the songs remind me of riding in the car, listening to 8-TRACKS!!

k8 said...

Does it count if I heard them on my babysitter's daughter's 8-Track player?

Seeking Solace said...

Shrinky: You have been deprived of a wonderful experience! BTW, the song was "You Got a Friend which was originally written and recorded by Carole King and then later by James Taylor (Sorry Addy N.)

Addy N. I totally dig the 70's!! I so remember the 8 track player in my dad's car! Plus, I had a stereo where you could record 8 tracks!!!!

"At Seventeen" is quite a depressing song about being a ugly duckling girl.

K8: Absolutely, it counts!!!!

Subscribe