The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, January 15, 2007

How Far Have We Come?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

In January 1987, my father and I were interviewed by a newspaper located near my Hometown about our perceptions of Dr. King's dream. I was 19 years old and in my second semester of my freshman year of college. My father was 45 years old and in failing health. The interview dealt with whether Dr King's dream was realized some 19 years since his assassination? Was the world better for my generation than it had been for my dad? We talked about our life experiences.

My dad recalled being a young boy growing up in Hometown. Hometown was a primarily White community. Although Hometown is located "up North", my dad grew up knowing that there were places that he could and could not go. He talked about how he and his siblings could not use the public swimming pool because it was segregated. When I was may dad's age, my bother and I went to that same swimming pool with no issue or denial. My dad would just drop us off, never saying a word.

My father did not attend college. No one in his family did. There was no one to encourage him to do so. Instead, my dad worked many jobs. He told the reporter about working as a bartender at the local county club the night that Martin Luther King was assassinated. He remembered how some of the patrons said to him "Well, now your Commie leader is dead," referring to the notion by some that Martin Luther King was a Communist. That infuriated my father. How could a man who stood for peace and equality be a communist? That night, he told my mother that his four month old baby girl would go to college someday.

When I was a senior in high school, I wanted to attend Georgetown University. I was an honor student and an athlete, so I figure I had a chance. When I told my guidance counselor my plans, she told me that people like me would never be successful in college. I knew what she meant. I went home crying. My dad told me that I had a choice. I could either believe that crap or I could prove her wrong. So, I decided to prove her wrong. I didn't attend Georgetown (There was no way my dad was going to let his 18 year old daughter move to D.C.), but I did attend college and earned my degree. I ran into that same guidance counselor, coincidentally on the same day I received my letter of acceptance to Grad School. I told her about my success. She just hung her head, and walked away.

Since then, I earned a Master's degree and a Law degree. I have worked to share my knowledge and experience to all, not just those of color, but to anyone who has felt the sting of prejudice. I pass on the same wisdom that was given to me by my parents. They taught me that there will be those who judge you based on who you are rather than what you have to bring to the table. Education is something that no one can take away from you. Use your knowledge to guide you.

But I still think about the original question that the reporter asked some 20 years ago. Have we reached the dream? Are things better now? I guess it depends on how you define "better." I see more opportunity, more than either my father or I experienced. But I still see ignorance. Even with all the success I have attained, I am still followed by White sales clerks in certain department stores.

I guess there is still more work to be done.

3 comments:

Alice said...

Great editorial! Go, Seeking Solace! I am proud of you.

RageyOne said...

Well said and there is still much to be done.

So glad you proved that guidance counselor wrong. Clearly, she wasn't guiding all of her students.

Chaser said...

Did we have the same guidance counselor? Because mine said the same thing. In this case, he meant white trash.

Apparently you don't have to be too terribly sharp to do that job.

Thanks for your perspective.

Subscribe