The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, November 10, 2006

Rising

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement. You are the best. I can truly say that you are great friends and confidants! I had a long talk with Husband, who tends to be my voice of reason when I think I am losing my mind. I also have the support of GML and LB and OGD, who are not only colleagues, but great friends. I know they have my back.
I am doing better today. The flare has settled down significantly. I vowed that I would not resort to steroid treatment to get through the pain. Although it would help, I just can't do it. I have worked so hard to get in shape and lose some of the weight that I have gained over the last five years as a result of the RA and its effects. I truly believe that my new healthy habits and exercise routine have helped me through this.

I think Weezy hit the nail on the head. As faculty, especially in the case of adjuncts, you really can't win. If you do too little, you don't care about the students. If you speak up about things that appear to be wrong, you are a maverick. If you do a good job, it's never enough. If you set high, yet reasonable, standards, you are being mean to the students. At my college, the message is that if there are problems, it's the faculty's fault. They are not doing enough to pacify the students.

I am not sure what is going to happen when I return next week. Husband and GML think that I will be fine and nothing will happen to my job. Husband pointed out that even if I were to lose my job, it would not be the end of the world. Well, maybe for my college because they would lose a great instructor who the majority of the students enjoy and respect. But the bottom line is that I will be OK.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wanted to email you and then realized you did not have it on here...
anyway i can't say much here, but i know *very* much what you are going through, esp. with the RA. you are in my thoughts and i hope that things get and stay better for you health and work wise.

Alice said...

Best wishes and hugs! Just remember -- everything that happens, happens for a good reason; even if it hurts.

Anonymous said...

I'm weighing in a bit late here, because I've been too busy this past week to read, but I'm sorry. I was lucky that when I began adjuncting at the place I am now full-time and tenured, my "maverickism" and outspokenness actually worked in my favor. If it had been a different kind of place, I don't know what I would have done, since I just can't be something I'm not (i.e. quiet when things bother me). I think you neeed to focus on what your sweet husband says, if you lose the job, you'll still be fine. You'll find some place that will realize they have a gem in you.

BrightStar (B*) said...

The whole situation sounds very frustrating. We're all on your side, and we're willing to listen any time.

Subscribe