The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, March 06, 2006

Stupid Question

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Today is movie day in Critical Thinking. I am showing One Flew Over the Cookout’s Nest. The students have to write an essay in which they create their own definition of what it means to be mentally ill. Then they have to use their definition to prove that Randal McMurphy is mentally ill. They also have to use their definition to prove that McMurphy is not mentally ill. They must back up their arguments with examples from the move.

As I am explaining the project, a young lady raises her hand. “I need a stapler.”
Seeking Solace: We are discussing your next essay assignment. This is not the time to ask me for a stapler.”
Student: Well, I need it now.”
Seeking Solace: “Well, you will have to wait until later or find someone else to give it to you.”
Student: mumbles something unintelligible.

Dr Crazy posted about how professors are not the keepers of the stapler, paper clips and other miscellaneous junk that the students should have. I mean, do I look like I have Office Max written across my forehead. (If you don’t like Office Max, insert your favorite office supplier in place of Office Max) If that is the case, I want to know where my commission is!

And what’s up with the interrupting me while I am explaining the paper requirements to ask a question that has no relevance whatsoever to the topic at hand. What cognitive process, or lack thereof, did she use that determined that she should ask me about a fucking stapler at that precise moment in time? I was waiting to see if the world would suddenly end if she did not get the stapler at that specific time. Sure enough, it did not.

What makes this even scarier is that this student has kids.

I guess some people never grow up.

10 comments:

Ianqui said...

That's just really weird, actually. Maybe she has an extremely mild form of autism of some sort. But I doubt it.

Today's movie day in my class too. I guess I shouldn't say what we're viewing, but it's a good Nova special!

sheepish said...

Totally effing weird. I think I might even blurt out a "wtf" in the face of a random interruption like that.

Seeking Solace said...

Sheepish: I thought about saying WTF or What the effing L!

Addy N. said...

Oh yes, I love being the supplier of all things students need- including being a printer when they try to e-mail assignments! I get the stapler thing in my office all the time, because I am the next door down from the department office. If the office is closed, they stop by mine and say "can I use your stapler?" I finally started keeping it in a drawer and when I get the inevitable question, I smile a big fake smile and say "sorry- I don't have one." That makes them go away.

A colleague of mine once had a female student step into his office, reach for a pencil on his desk and say “can I borrow this?” He reluctantly agreed, thinking she needed it for 10 seconds. She apparently took the pencil to her class with her to take notes! He was so annoyed; he waited for her to leave class. When the class let out, she started to leave the building and he ran after her to get the pencil back and give her a lecture. I’m not making this up (this is the reality of Miami University).

I also once had a future parent (I think it was during orientation or something), stick his head in my door and say "bathroom?" Not "where is the bathroom?" or "excuse me, can you please direct me to the nearest men's room?", but just "bathroom?" No wonder the students are so rude!

Anonymous said...

My students always want to borrow a staple to staple together the work that they are turning in. I say that it is their responsibility to staple their work together before they turn it in. Some planning goes a long way. For example, since they always seem to need a stapler, perhaps they could consider purchasing one and bringing it with them. Or better yet, they could do their homework at home, in plenty of time, so that they could use their own stapler instead of trying to put together some half done thing just before class begins. They don't like the implication that their work is only half baked, but they turn it is, often with loose pages. When I grade it, I find that it is only half done, and even that half not done well.

Seeking Solace said...

Astroprof: I remember your story about the student who forgot his calculator and asked to borrow one. You gave him a slide rule. That was priceless.

BrightStar (B*) said...

I want to chime in to say that this is a really cool idea for an assignment.

I am probably too nice to students who ask random stuff at random times. Since I used to teach 7th grade, I have a high tolerance for that kind of thing, but I probably shouldn't, otherwise they won't learn.

Anonymous said...

She probably even is the type of mom who insists school is unfair to her kids, and they must be given A's regardless of actual ability - so the circle of denial can live...

blithering moron said...

i love my mini stapler! it only holds about 20 staples but it's so light i don't mind keeping it in my bag.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I actually found that putting "staple your papers" on the syllabus and general paper handout has helped. The rest actualy apologize for not stapling it. I have a stapler I could bring on paper day, but I refuse to do so -- as it isn't my duty to supply them with those things --- if I begin to do it, they will let me every time.

I keep remembering something that struck me in my first semester at my current CC -- namely, that there is a reason they are here. That reason may be intellectual, preparation level or economic -- each of those reasons carries their own challenges -- like random questions and lack of staplers. Part of what I know I'm teaching them is how to be a college student -- and if I don't act like a college teacher, then they won't learn the most important lesson I have to give.

Subscribe