The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Rest of the Story

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Sorry this was so late, but I was busy all day today and of course I had to watch American Idol.

So here’s what happened with my Employment Law lecture.

I started class the same way my Constitutional Law professor did. I explained that this is not the time or place to discuss whether homosexuality is right or wrong. I told them that we are discussing this issue in the context of law and the business world. One cannot pick and choose the people they work with. So, you better check you opinions and/or biases at the door.

Well, it actually worked. We were able to have a discussion of the legal cases that involve discrimination based on sexual orientation without any grandstanding or rude and baseless comments. The students asked really good questions, especially regarding employee benefits for domestic partners. We even had a good discussion as to whether Title VII will be changed to included sexual orientation as a protected class.

I honestly think I did the right thing. I have overheard students say some pretty offensive things in the hallways and even in my Critical Thinking class. So, I had reason to believe that this issue was no different. I thanked my students for their ability to discuss such a controversial issue in a mature manner.

So, there you have it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see they rose to the occasion. This is also quite similar to people with visible physical handicaps / deformities, but I think that might almost be easier to relate to. People can be just as squeemish with that but noone would advocate limiting job opportunities to people with missing limbs (with the obvious caveat that the missing limb bore no direct professional link to the job) or boycotting meetings where the person with the visible tumor might be.

sheepish said...

Sounds like you handled it very nicely.

Subscribe