The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Circle

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yes, I’ll make a resolution
That I’ll never make another one
Just enjoy this ride on my trip around the sun
Just enjoy this ride...

Trip Around the Sun, by Jimmy Buffett with Martina McBride
From the CD License to Chill. RCA (2004).

2005 was a year of change. I gave up my law practice to focus on teaching. It was not an easy decision to make. I knew deep down, I was not cut out for the traditional practice. But, I could not let go of the thought of all those years of study, the Bar Exam and practice. 10 years of my life dedicated to the law. How could someone give that up?

Easy…I was miserable. I hated the stress. I hated the demands. I hated what the profession had become. It was not what I wanted out of life. I was tired, depressed and constantly ill, both physically and emotionally. I became someone that I did not know.

So, I walked away.

For the most part, I am happy with where I am now. Despite the insanity reported in this blog, it has allowed me to enjoy two things that I love, the law and teaching. Maybe it will lead to teaching at a law school. Maybe it won’t. But for now, it’s working for me. I am happy, healthier and I am getting to know the person staring back in the mirror.

So what’s in store for 2006? I am not very good with New Year’s resolutions. It seems that I am one of those who have good intentions, but either laziness or my own neurosis gets in the way. Usually, I end up dwelling on what I should have done rather than what I should do. I end up beating myself up for not living up to some expectation that I set for myself.

So, I think I will take Jimmy’s advice and just enjoy the ride.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

good advice!

Anonymous said...

wow that was a big decision you made...

got any advice for those who are interested to pursue law?

BrightStar (B*) said...

I admire your choice. It's important to consider carefully what we want out of life and persue personal happiness as well as professional. It sounds like you're on your way to finding that balance.

Seeking Solace said...

APL: Thanks! I still work as a court appointed law guardian in the Family Court, so I have not totally abandoned the legal world. Since it’s court appointed, I can control whether I want to take a case.

KMM: I say go for it. There are many options after law school! Not everyone is made to be a trial lawyer. Find your niche. For me, it is corrupting young legal minds!

Bright Star: Thanks, Balance I what I need now!

Anonymous said...

I don't make New Year's resolutions for the very same reasons.

I find it interesting that you encouraged a reader to go to law school despite your decision to leave. I am considering going in the opposite direction--from college teaching to law school--so it's a good balance for me to hear about your journey. I hope you will continue to write about it.

sheepish said...

It's a tough moment when you realize that what you've been working for for most of your life is not actually what you want. I too admire you for doing something about it, because it's so easy to just complain and keep on doing it.

Subscribe