The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Fear

Posted by Seeking Solace |

But I fear, I have nothing to give
And I have so much to lose...
Fear, by Sarah McLachlin

Written by Sarah McLachin. From Fumbling Toward Ecstasy, Arista (1994).

My law students are doing oral presentations of their research papers. I added this component to the course requirements because of the numerous cut and paste jobs that I received. I don't think the students really understand what they are researching. They are given the project assignment early in the semester and must turn in different parts during the course of the semester. They get credit for turning in their work, even if there are mistakes. They receive feedback and are encouraged to check in with me on their progress.

Granted, some people find getting up in front of a group of people terrifying. I can appreciate that. I don't think many people are born great public speakers. It is definitely something that is developed and improved over time. But many of my students freak out when they hear the words "Oral Presentation", despite the fact that many of them take a course in oral presentation prior to or in conjunction with my class.

Many of the presentations were poor. It was clear that many of them did not understand the topic they researched. One student chomped on gum like a cow chewing grass. Another mumbled the entire time. It was a sad site.

There were two students in the back of the room who were talking during the other student's presentations. I had asked them twice to be quiet. On their third infraction, I told the chattier of the two that she was next.

Student: I am not going to do my speech.

SS: Why not? It"s OK; I promise it will be pain free.

Student: Because I don't know it by heart.

SS: Well, that's OK. You may use note cards or glance at your paper, but you can't read directly from your paper.

Student: I just don't want to do it.

SS: Do you understand that if you do not do your presentation, you will receive no credit, zero points?

Student: Yean. I am not going to do it. You can't make me.

SS (falling back into attorney mode): OK, no one is going to force you. But I just want to confirm that you understand the consequences if you do not complete your speech today.

Student: Yeah.

What else could I say? There was no way she was going to do her presentation. And I am certainly not going to force someone to do something she does not want to do. But I don't know if the real reason why she would not do her permeation was because she was truly afraid or because she did not understand her topic. Maybe it's a little from Column A and a little from Column B.

I wonder if her fear was worth the cost.

3 comments:

nadaclue said...

Holy friggin crap...I am utterly speechless at that childish disrespect.

Anonymous said...

You say this was a law class? Don't lawyers often have to speak in front of people?

I agree, whatever the reasons, this was very disrespectful. These same students would be hopping mad if someone treated them in such a manner.

Anonymous said...

Man - I got off light teaching math... I never made anyone present.

Of course, I'd get the deer-in-headlights look for interrupting a problem midsentence, unprompted, and saying "So - John - Why are you confused with this problem" and poor John would think I was performing magic or sometthing - and I'd want to say "no - John, when your eyeballs and lips switch places on your face, that's how lost you are, I need no magic. And you need never play poker, either"

Subscribe