The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

My So-Called Past Life

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Reading posts from ProfGrrr and Blithering Moron made me think about my former career. Before I re-entered the academic world, I was an attorney. I practiced in small firms, large firms and ultimately had my own practice. But after several years, I became cynical and jaded at the people seeking representation and the profession as a whole. So, I decided to walk away from the whole thing. There were other reasons, like my health which contributed to my decision. Many of my lawyer friends thought I was insane. How could I give up practicing law after all the hell I went through to become a member of the bar? It was easy. I love the law. The problem is I do not love what it has become.

The tiny bit of idealist in me always believed that the purpose of the law is helping those in need. But the reality is that law is an ugly business. No one hires an attorney because they are happy about a situation. It’s about two things: power and money. People in the US are very litigation happy. If you stub your toe, you want to sue. If you can’t control your finances because you have no fiscal responsibility, you file bankruptcy. If you spill hot coffee on you lap, you get paid. If your ex is one minute late in returning the kids from visitation, you run to court to strip him of his visitation. I have a million stories I could tell, but that would violate attorney-client privilege.

The profession is no better. Look at daytime TV. Every other commercial is some lawyer telling you how if you were exposed to X, you could receive big money. As a result of looser restrictions on attorney advertisements, many people think that they can get rich. I teach a Survey of Law course, and many of my students feel this way. There first line of defense in any situation is SUE THE BASTARDS!

Attorneys are extremely cut-throat when it comes to dealing with their peers. When I graduated from law school, our faculty speaker reminded us to be civil to our opposition. We should be zealous advocates in the courtroom, but at the end of the day, you should be able have a beer with your opposition. In my tenure, I have seen a viciousness and nastiness that is normally reserved for animals in the wild.

Don’t get me wrong. I have represented many wonderful people who really needed my help. I often represented people who did not qualify for free legal assistance and could not afford the high retainers that some lawyers charge. Many of them truly appreciated my help. I am thankful that I have the skill and expertise to help those who truly need it. That is one of the greatest feelings in the world.

Do I miss it? Sometimes. I still keep my license in active status, because you never know…..

And I do believe that sharks avoid eating lawyers!

2 comments:

blithering moron said...

those tv lawyers are so annoying. i guess the problem with lawyers is, it's the bad ones who get all the publicity, and the good ones that nobody hears about (unless you work on some high profile things like supreme court cases). that must be why they have a bad image in the media.

Seeking Solace said...

It drives me crazy when I see those ads. And it is true about the good ones. No one says much about the good work that they do.

Subscribe