The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Big "D"bate

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Today, we had our monthly faculty meeting. On the docket was the issue of using the “D” grade. At my college, we do not give a grade of “D”. The HMFICs wanted our input as to whether the faculty should be allowed to use “D” as a grade. (FYI: HMFIC = Head M.F. In Charge)

Every semester, I am faced with the dilemma of what to do with the student who falls in the traditional “D” range. I can’t justify pushing him over to a “C” when he has not completed “C” work. And I can’t justify giving an “F” when I know that he is trying his best. Why should someone fall below “C” level if that person is putting forth the effort? (Pun intended!)

But if I am allowed to give a “D” grade, does that mean that my students will just do the bare minimum in order to just pass? And what courses will be affected? I do not believe that students should be allowed to receive a grade of “D” in their major. That is not acceptable. But should the same be said for the General Education courses? I teach both major and Gen Ed courses. I expect my students to work hard and do their best, regardless of the course. So by allowing “D” grades, am I telling my students to strive for less?

I would love some input on this one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An area school district here eliminated the grade of D. Then, they retroactively converted all Ds to Cs. Then, they announced how their efforts to improve academics for their athletes resulted in much higher GPAs.

I think that you should give Ds. I've had students strive for a D (trying to do the least work possible). If that is there goal, they normally fail.

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks for the input. I am on the fence. I hate the fact that some falls from a C to a F. That's a very long drop. But on the other hand, I worry that I am setting expectations lower by granting a student a D.

Subscribe