The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

When Fog Leads To Panic

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Brain Fog is very common issue for people with autoimmune diseases. It's bad enough that my joints and organs take a beating, but so does my brain. Brain Fog is just like it sounds; you feel like you are in a fog. You brain cannot process things as easily. You can't think through the simplest task. You can remember anything. You don't know which end is "up".  Your brain is just tired.

Today is one of Brain Fog days. I knew it when I woke up this morning. Usually, I wake up the same time as Husband. But this morning, I slept until 8:15. I vaguely remember Husband trying to wake me up and my saying that I wanted to sleep. Even Junior let me sleep it.  I guess he figured Mommy was tired.

As I fumbled through my morning, I just couldn't get it together. I had several tasks that I needed to accomplish, but I couldn't put together a simple "to do" list. Frustrated, I decided that I would take Junior for a walk. The sun was shining and it was nice outside. I put on my workout gear and headed out with Junior.

As we walked our usual route, I started to feel the Brain Fog lift. I was able to process how I was going to complete my tasks for the day.  I was starting to feel a little more human and contemplated doing two laps around the neighborhood, which is about two miles. As Junior and I reached our house at the end of lap #1, I noticed that my garage door was open. 

I thought to myself "Did I forget to close the garage door? I honestly do not remember closing it."



Now, I do live in a relatively safe neighborhood. But, that does not mean that one doesn't take the usual precautions. At that point, any remaining Brain Fog morphed into panic.

"SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP, I left the garage door open!"

I ran into the garage and into the house with Junior in tow. I began to thoroughly inspect every single inch of my house, again with Junior in tow. I even said out loud "If there IS anyone in here, I do have a very large German Shepherd."

Junior was not fazed by all of this. I think if there was someone in the house, he would have reacted immediately. Instead, he just followed along on his leash, thinking this was part of his walkies and that his Mommy has lost her mind.

I didn't find anyone, or anything, out of place.

Exhaling, I looked at Junior and said. "Should we finish our walk?" Of course, he did a his happy dance whenever someone says "Walk". 

With the Brain Fog lifted and my anxiety level down to somewhat of a normal state, we did our second lap around the neighborhood. Before we left, I made sure that I closed the garage door.

I actually watched it close completely.

0 comments:

Subscribe