The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

It's Hard

Posted by Seeking Solace |

My summer vacation has come to an end. Classes at HBCU started last week. Classes at PhD Uni started today; however, my class does not start until next Tuesday. This gives me some extra time too make sure the class I am teaching is running smoothly before I get consumed with PhD stuff.

So how did the summer go? Well, let's see...

The good...

  • I will be presenting at a conference in November. My first proposal and it gets accepted. Woot, Woot! 
  • I am up to 2 miles of jogging with Junior.  
  • No RA or FMS issues. Still in remission. 
  • I maintained my weight loss. Actually, I am down to 136 pounds, which is two pounds less than my goal. I have been doing some strength training, so I am sure that helps. 
  • Husband and I had two fabulous beach vacays. 
  • I have some lovely herbs, including one massive basil plant. 
The not-so-good...
  •  I have yet to take the GRE. Studying kinda fizzled out. 
  • I have yet to finish my IRB. I've learned that trying to track down professors over the summer can be futile. 
  • Job search went no where. There was the CC job, which I am convinced they never read, a job and PhD Uni that was a long-shot and one at HBCU that they barely acknowledged. I have three more that are stuck in "In Progress" land. 
The not-so-good stuff led me to spend most of July wallowing in a pool of self pity and depression that prevented me from accomplishing much of what I wanted to do. Husband thinks that possibly I was in the depression stage of grief. The grief being that I had thought/hoped that my current underemployment status would be short-lived. Yet, it's been a year and I am still in the same place I was a year ago.

He's right. And, I know this. It's just hard. 

0 comments:

Subscribe