The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, May 19, 2014

Not Insane

Posted by Seeking Solace |

HBCU has not one, but two full time faculty positions open.  Yes, I will be applying. But, I expect absolutely nothing to come of it.

Einstein said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different result.  He would say that I am certifiable.

Those of you who missed the saga of my last attempt to secure a full time faculty position at HBCU will recall that I applied and was completely ignored. No responses to my follow-up phone calls or emails. Not even an acknowledgment of the receipt of my credentials.  Nothing. And, to add insult to injury, they hired someone and I found out about it when I was looking for another faculty members email.This was a flaming act of douchebagery that sent me into a dimension of pissed off I had not visited before, along with the mother of all hangovers.

I know what you are thinking...what the hell is wrong with you? Why would you apply again? Plus, adjuncts always get the shaft when a full time position is up for grabs.

I am applying because I need to do it. I don't want people to think that they broke me. I also know that I am damn good at what I do. I can have a huge impact on the students there. Actually, I am already doing that with the one class that I teach. I've paid my dues and deserve the shot.I am going to state my case, again. I will show that my previous coursework is relevant, even though I don't have the degree (the ad did say related degree or 18 graduate credit hours). I also have the experience and can bring some skills to the table that are needed for the department.  That's it.

 I am not allowing myself to become emotionally involved in the process.That was why I had such a reaction when it didn't work out. I am going to just let the chips fall where they may. I have my online class as a backup. There's another adjunct gig that I am waiting on a response. I will be fully accepted into the doctoral program next year and they are very good about helping PhD students find funding. I can handle this.

So, to answer Einstein, I am relying on the words of another great mind, Sheldon Cooper. "I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested!"

1 comments:

AliceAcademic said...

Good for you for applying! Fingers crossed.

Subscribe