The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Saturday, November 09, 2013

NaBloPoMo Day #9: Yacht Rock

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I love Yacht Rock.

I did not know what Yacht Rock was until today when I found the station on Pandora. Looking at the songs on the playlist, I didn't quite understand why it was called Yacht Rick. The songs are 1970's and 1980's pop and adult contemporary...think  the Doobie Brothers, Ace, Steely Dan, Hall and Oats...whoever sang "Brandy, your a fine girl" Oh wait, that was Looking Glass.

Curious, I googled Yacht Rock. The Urban Dictionary gave me this:

  1.  Another name for the adult-contemporary musical movement in the late 1970's and the early 1980's. It was defined mostly by its smooth sound. Popular Yacht Rockers include: Kenny Loggins, the Doobie Brothers, and Steely Dan.
  2.  Yacht rock is cheesy pop rock music from the 80s and 90s. Artists like Michael McDonald, Kenny G, Stevie Nicks, Toto and a host of other similar bands comprise artists who performed this music. Think of dudes in their 50s cruising the harbor and snorting cocaine on their yachts blasting Kenny G and you will be able to picture those who enjoy yacht rock.
Kenny G? Oh hells no!

50 year old dudes in yachts? Not even close! I am not a dude and I do not own or will ever own a yacht. And, I am not 50...yet.

Snorting cocaine? Um...no...I really don't thinks so.

I was born in 1968, so I came of age in the 1970's and 1980's. That music brings back good memories for me. It takes me back to a simpler time.  People said "I love you" in songs without adding "Bitch".
Lyrics had meaning to them. There were songwriters and musicians that created real music, not manufactured noise that rips off hooks from other artists. There was a difference between a pop, rock or R&B song. And, it didn't matter because it was all good (OK, maybe not so much for the hair metal of the 1980's...) Sometime around the 2000's, it all changed. Granted, there are a few bright spots out there, but I think VH1 will need to add more slots to their One Hit Wonder list when they cover this and the previous decade.

So I'll keep my Yacht Rock, minus the cocaine and the 50 year old dudes driving their yachts. Oh, and DEFINITELY minus Kenny G!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That person also seems to think Kenny Loggins, Michael McDonald, and Stevie Nicks are in some meaningful way from the 80s and 90s.

Subscribe