The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Where Have I Been?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

OK, so it's been a while....

New job is driving me crazy. Campus director is a nice guy and all, but he has absolutely no backbone. He worries about little problems and shows little to no action on the bigger problems. Usually, it is me who has to handle the big problems.

In the past month, there have been three major issues that needed to be handled at the executive level, Needless to say, I have had to go into bitch mode to see that they are handled. On top of that, he is pushing some compliance requirements that for me are ridding on the ragged edge of unethical. CD's biggest concern is maintain our student population. Mine is ensuring that we provide quality education within the guidelines.

To make matters worse, there is way too much work in this position for one person to handle. I am working about 50 hours week, plus commuting 40 minutes one way, everyday. I am trying to hire people, but it is hard to find people who have the proper credentials and are willing to work for crap pay. 


So, I am frustrated, tired and angry.

One the positive side, I do work with some amazing people who are feeling the same way that I am. I've connected with another dean from a sister campus who has given me a great deal of support. She is worried that this job will affect my RA.

I'm worried about that too. I've been in remission for over a year. I've lost 32 pounds and feel great, physically. But, I am not sure how much more I can handle given all the stress.It's so bad that I've given thought to just hanging up the whole thing and pursuing my PhD full time.

I just dread going to work right now. And, that's not a good thing.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

No, that is definitely not a good thing. I hope things end up looking a lot better for you, whichever way you choose to go. Wishing you the very best of luck.

JaneB said...

Hope the end of semester brings a bit of relief and perspective...

rented life said...

crappy pay is one reason why I wouldn't work at their campuses PT. I couldn't believe the pay for the hours.

Keep taking care of yourself. If you want some paleo recipes to help with the healthy eating, let me know!

jo(e) said...

That all sounds pretty stressful.

Subscribe