The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, February 07, 2013

Leader?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

It has also become evident that my new boss does not like to deal with major problems or confrontation. He tends to make a big deal out of the small stuff, but is nonchalant about the big problems. 

Or, he just dumps them on me.

Husband thinks that although my boss dumping the big problems on me is pretty crappy, he thinks that it's probably a good thing because I am very level-headed in a crisis situation. Husband says that I am one of those people who will stop, calmly think things through carefully and then make a decision or take action.

That made me feel better, but it is also rather frustrating. I should not have to teach someone who is a leader, how to be one.

3 comments:

JaneB said...

But most academic leaders aren't born that way or trained that way - 'natural leaders' or those with a lot of natural leadership mostly, in my experience, are not drawn to academia! Most of us have to learn to do those things you seem to know how to do, like being calm and not starting with a bit of swearing and running around! Try to see it as a compliment...

Psycgirl said...

I think learning to deal with conflict and being able to openly address problems should be a requirement to be an administrator in academia!

Seeking Solace said...

JaneB: I hadn't considered that. I think you make a good point.

PyscGirl: Yep...that definitely part of the job.

Subscribe