The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Grown Up?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

It just amazes me about people on Facebook. No, I am not talking about all the political stuff, I'm over that. I am talking about the pictures that people post from other sources that chronicle people with disabilities, especially children, who have overcome obstacles. "How wonderful" or some other positive cheering is tagged by these folks. Well, I have one question:

Weren't you the same people who used to make fun of me and my visual disability back in the day?

Sure, I could be a real bitch and un-friend them, but that's just not my format. I hope that with age comes the realization that we can be real ass-hats when we are young. Maybe this is their way of making up for past instances when they were not so kind to a person with a disability,  Maybe, we have all grown up.

 Still, it kind of bugs me.


2 comments:

Patty said...

I have a fb friend who called almost everything "retarded" -- now she has a daughter with downs.. and is outraged by the use of the word.. karma, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

it totally bugs me too. i think that while yes, people can realize that they were ass-hats, and it happens, and it's great. A lot of the disabled kid pictures everyone "likes" on facebook remind me of those platituide images, like, "Love your life" over the picture of an ocean or something similar. No deep, real engagement with what that picture represents, with disability, etc.

Subscribe