The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Posted by Seeking Solace |

The Good:

  • I'm back to blogging after a very long hiatus. I missed it.
  • Husband has a fabulous new job with a great salary and even more awesome benefits.
  • Junior passed his Canine Good Citizen test. The trainer said that for a two year old, he did an awesome job. Most two year olds have so much puppy left in them.
  • RA in full remission!
 The Bad:
  • A dear friend's husband passed away recently. It was sudden and tragic. 
  •  The deer ate about 2/3 of our garden. We still have some tomatoes, but the squirrels are now finding out about the buffet that is my garden. Junior is trying his best to keep them out.
  • It's stupid hot here. I know where I live, it's to be expected, but this is ridiculous.
The Ugly:
  •  My job really sucks right now. I am getting some grief because the retention numbers for my program took a huge hit. Some of the losses have noting to do with my program...hello, the economy sucks right now.
  • Part of the problem is that I have students who cannot meet the expectations for the program. Yes, one must be able to write in complete sentences. 
  • My salary was supposed to be "right-sized" so that I am in line with other people with doctorates. Well, that got denied by the Powers that Be. So, once again, my "inferior" doctorate is keeping me from where I should be. 
  • Morale is really bad at the college right now. I know of a few folks who are just looking for the right opportunity so that they can leave
  •  
    I really did miss writing in this space. Things have been a little hectic. I have so much more to say, so if there is anyone out there who still follows me or still cares, stay tuned. 

11 comments:

profgrrrrl said...

Hooray for being back! :)

I'm sorry to hear about the bad and the ugly. And I share your salary frustrations. The Assoc Profs in my dept who started out here as Asst are the lowest paid folks in the dept, and when we go up for full the raise still won't put us over the new assistants. That's just wrong.

Rebecca said...

Welcome back! Glad to hear about the good, and so sorry about the bad and the ugly. Hope you find something as great for you as your husband found. I've had a front row seat watching my poor sister become completely burnt out, all of her co-workers unhappy and her clients totally frustrating. She is so excited to be starting a fun new job where the employees and guests are all smiling. Of course, it's not perfect, there are a couple of downsides. But they are more of an inconvenient nature, rather than a depressing one. So hang in there, it can happen!

Carolyn Schriber said...

Nice to have you back, and great news about the RA!

Karen said...

Still here!! You were missed for sure!

Hurrah for good RA news!!

JaneB said...

::wavea::

Hi, nice to see you around here again!

tracynicholrose said...

We missed you too! Yes wicked, stupid hot but that is July down here. Unfortunately it's August too.

Glad you're back.

rented life said...

Stupid hot is why you can't convince me to move there! :) Sorry about the bad and ugly. Welcome back!!

sheepish said...

Welcome back! Wish it was under more auspicious circumstances, but at least there's some good in there.

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone! It's great to be back!!!!

chicago foodie girl said...

Yay! I'm glad you're back! :-)

Congrats to Husband on the new job (awesome benefits!!) & to Junior on the his test. It's always nice when things fall into place.

As for your job... oy. I feel you, girl! I so want you to get out of there -- you're so much better than that crap!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back. Hope to get going on my LONG neglected blog too.

Subscribe