The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, August 15, 2011

Back When

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Another blogger had bid adieu...so long Regey. I am going to miss your blog.

I wrote in a post a while back about where have all the academic bloggers gone. Not that long ago, there was a great community of academic bloggers, who not only blogged about academics, but about life in general. We all became viral friends, and ultimately, friends off blog. But, I think technology has just made it so difficult to keep track of the everything.

And, everyone seems to be on either Facebook and/or Twitter anyway...it's fast and instant. No need to sit sit down an construct a post and wait for someone to read it.

I think it was B* who wrote about having so many things to keep track of...Facebook, Twitter, blogging, email, Google Plus, and so on. I have resisted the lure of Google Plus, despite the invites from some of you. (Nothing personal, I promise). It's just too many things...like B* said.  I have a hard enough time posting here, and keeping track of Twitter and Facebook.

I've often thought of going on a Facebook break. Not killing my account, but just not posting. I don't post as much as I used to, but I sense that lure to go there just to see what's going on with the rest of the blog world. I feel as if I don't, I will be missing something. My Twitter account seems to have more news tweets than that of blog-mates. Plus, I have to use my phone to tweet when I am work, which can be a pain in the butt.

So, that leaves my blog.

I am not ready to leave the party just yet. Maybe because I feel like this is that last place where I can just really be who I am. Maybe it's because I don't feel the pressure to write something every five minutes.

I do miss a time when we were all just bloggers...

8 comments:

Arbitrista said...

Me too.

rented life said...

Ditto. I feel like the condensed formats don't leave us with a sense of who anyone it. You just get witty comments with no content. (And Google+ is just cumbersome to use IMO.)

JaneB said...

I only blog - I have a minimal facebook presence to shut up my schoolfriends and college friends, but I barely check in once a month... so I hope some other people stick around!

deb aka murphthesurf said...

I could not agree with you more. I am pretty new to blogging and find facebook annoying and I refuse to use twitter myself. I have also heard about google+ but like blogging for now as my main voice. I hope bloggers stick around to and we don't find ourselves being left behind like a good paper novel for an e-book.

Dr. Dad, PhD said...

Haha! Figures I just decided to join the blogging fun only to discover it's passe....

But seriously, I think blogging gets you the most interactions, and that's what I crave in the end. I'm a late-stage postdoc looking for answers on how things work in academia, and I've found that following tweets aren't nearly as informative as reading through recent (or archival) posts (and, perhaps more importantly, responses). So if the "old bloggers" are leaving, I hope to be in the new generation to replace them. But really, I'd rather just join them.

I do facebook, but that's to keep up with friends/family, and less anonymous (kinda tricky when seeking job advice)...

Alice said...

Me too... I don't post much (simply because there is no time) but I enjoy reading...

comebacknikki said...

Me, too. Almost everyone from the group that started six/seven-ish years ago has stopped blogging. :-(

Terminal Degree said...

I miss it, too. As much as I like using Facebook, I think that FB killed the blogging community of those of us who started in '04 or so...

Subscribe