The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, May 01, 2011

The Right Thing To Do

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Music was always a part of my growing up. My parents had an extensive record (yes, those round objects that you played on a thing called turntable). They had everything from rock to R&B, soul to pop, jazz and blues. And of course I cannot forget my mother's huge collection of polka records.

As a little girl, I loved to sing along with the music. Singing along gave me a sort of solace that I craved as a child. There was a lot of chaos in my family because of my parents being an interracial couple. Next to books, music and singing was my refuge. Even to this day, I sing when I need to release stress or find some peace of mind.

One of the first songs I remember singing was "The Right Thing To Do" by Carly Simon. My mom had a copy of No Secrets, which contain that song, along with "Your So Vain". I would sing along with that song every time it came on the turntable. I would look at the album as I sang along (Granted I was only four years old when the album was released in 1972, so I could only read some of the lyrics). But, I thought Carly Simon was so beautiful and cool. Her voice was smooth and soothing to me. I could feel her emotions with every note she sang.

It wasn't until about three years ago when I read Girls Like Us ,which is about the lives of Carole King, Joni Mitchell and Carly Simon, that I learned that Carly Simon was biracial.

Way cool. That may explain my identifying with her and her music. That and it is just great. Actually, I love all three women singer/songwriters in that book. I just love that time during the 1970's. (There are times when I think I came of age during the wrong decade).

Anyway, it's some 40 years since the release of that album. I still listen to it and find refuge in the smooth voice of my biracial "sister".

****

As you are no doubt aware, the recent tornadoes really did a number on Tuscaloosa, Alabama and other places. My boss is from the area. Thankfully, his family is OK. But, there is a great deal of devastation. He is traveling there this week to help with the recovery. So, my campus is gathering essentials to help.  Yours truly has gathered some necessities, as well as, some clothing from my closet.

Please help in any way you can.

It's the right thing to do.

1 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

I absolutely agree that music can be healing.

Subscribe