The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, April 11, 2011

Vacation, All I Ever Wanted?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Husband and I spent a wonderful few days in the Islands named for a delicious alcoholic beverage. We spent our time filling the sleep and vitamin D accounts, eating good food and watching people make total asses of themselves. We returned to an all-inclusive resort that we visited a few years ago. We had such a great time before, so we figured lightening would strike twice. We thought we had avoided the college spring break crowd, seeing as most college spring breaks are finished by now. But, we did not count on something that we did not count on.

High school spring break.

Growing up, we did not have a spring break in high school. We had Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Monday off, provided that we did not need those days to make up for snow days. But, I guess this is quite common, especially after talking with some friends. Anywho, I think I would have rather dealt with college students than what I saw with the high school kids.

There were groups of high school seniors at the resort. Now, this resort used to only cater to the 18 and over crowd. I am guessing with the downturn in the economy, the resort decided to change their policy to allow anyone 14 and over.

Well, you can imagine what happened.

Like I said, there were these groups of high school seniors at the resort unsupervised. Yep, you heard me, unsupervised. And since the resort is all inclusive, including alcohol, it was the perfect storm for heinousness.

OK, I don't know about you, but my parents would NEVER let me go to the Caribbean when I was that age. I wasn't allow to go anywhere like that on spring break when I was in college! First, my parents could never afford to send me. Second, there is no way my father would like his baby girl go unsupervised. I mean seriously, people, who is running the show in most households?

There were kids who were just drunk a good majority of the time. We could not used the Jacuzzi because kids were throwing up...in the Jacuzzi.

They were up all hours of the night, slamming doors, screaming and blasting music.

Oh, and the best one was where this kid got so drunk that he ripped the gutters off the building. Yes, the gutters. The hotel security told him either cough up $1500.00 for the damage or go to jail. Needless to say, he called his parents at 3 a.m. to avoid jail. Now, I have a good feeling that replacing those gutters would have cost around $500.00. So, you know it's true what they say about paybacks.

Wow...just wow. I know if it were my parents, they would have told me to get comfortable while in jail. Or, I would probably want to go to jail becuase what my dad would have done to me would be far worse than any jail.

But, maybe those rules just don't apply anymore. Maybe the tail is wagging the dog more than I ever imagined.

Needless to say, we did have a great time, despite the heinousness of teens running wild. 

But, next time, we're going to Sandals!

2 comments:

MissDazey said...

Glad you had a good time. How do high school kids afford that?

Anonymous said...

Good grief. It's ridiculous for kids to go somewhere like that in the first place. But unsupervised? No way. I'm surprised the resort let unsupervised underage kids stay there.

Glad you enjoyed the vacay regardless of the bratty kids. It's nice to get away.

Subscribe