The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Fix

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I stayed home today because of an RA flare. My knees, particulary the right one, were quite swollen this morning. That can make walking a little difficult. They are still tender. My wrists, hands and fingers were a little swollen, but they are doing a little better now. I am rather tired as well.

I figured that staying home was best since classes don't start until next Wednesday and I would just be doing office work. I would rather take the time off now, than to have to do it when classes start and things are hectic. I have resisted the temptation to do work today. I really need a break from it right now. I only checked my email once this morning and once after lunch.

Methinks it is the weather that brought this on. It has been unusually cold in Elsewhere. This time of year during the daytime, it usually stays in the 50's. At night, it maybe gets to freezing. December was one of the coldest on record and January is almost as bad with temperatures in the 30's during the day and upper teens/low 20's at night. (That would be wishful thinking in Lake Effect Snow Central).

I assume that the drugs are working since I am not so bad that I need a steroid dose pack But, I am not sure. At my last appointment, which was about a week ago, my RA doc said that we are still in the "wait and see" stage with the Embrel. I guess it takes 12 weeks before we can say "remission" or move on to the next drug cocktail.

That's the hard part about RA, finding the right "fix".

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. Hopefully the worst of the weather will be all gone in 5 or 6 weeks. While March can throw some curve balls, weather-wise, it's usually not nearly as bad as the January & February freezes. Here's hoping that those several weeks will just fly by once the semester starts.

Anonymous said...

For me it's the temp changes. I do better in weather that stays cold or hot -- spring and fall with huge temp swings are not my friends! We're 30's daytime and teens night time and then freaking 51 on Sunday. I can feel the weather changes coming on already. UGH! My pain meds are working so great these days. Wishing you less pain very soon!!

Subscribe