The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Saturday, November 06, 2010

Sometimes You Have To Put Your Big Girl Panties On

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday, I had an appointment with my RA doc to discuss my decision with my treatment. I think I mentioned in a previous post that I was considering the infusion route, because of my fear of injections (Yes, I know that an infusion consists of a needle, but for some reason I find the infusion less offensive).

My RA doc told me that since her practice no longer takes my insurance, that I cannot have the infusion done in her office. I would have to go to the hospital, where there would be a fee for me to have the infusion.

Crap.

And, there is still the issue of whether my insurance will cover the infusion. There are some prior authorization crapola that is tied to it. When I did the research with our insurance, I didn't realize that the infusion would be covered as major medical and not under the drug coverage.

Crap.

After all of that discussion. I decided that I would put my big girl panties on and try the Enbrel shot. The medication is pre-loaded into a cylinder like thing. You don't see the needle; in fact, it's a very small one. (Breathe sigh of relief). So, Husband and I were both trained on how to give the injection. We learned a little secret. If I take the injection in my stomach, it won't hurt as much.

Sure enough, it was true.

And, with the cylinder pen, getting the injection really wasn't that bad.

So, I am going to try Enbrel for a while and see if I notice anything different. So far, no reall side effects.

I guess I'm a big girl now.

5 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

I'm really glad to hear that you are trying this treatment. I hope that this is an option that works for you. I don't want you to have to live with pain.

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks B*!!! You are so sweet!!!!

MissDazey said...

You are braver than I am. How long before you can see results?

Seeking Solace said...

MissDazey: My RA Doc says that I should see results in a couple of weeks. I am hopeful. :)

Anonymous said...

I've always thought those preloaded pen injections would be the way to go -- for RA, DB, whatever. I'm glad it's a bearable process. And I hope it works for the pain. Will be watching for updates.

Subscribe