The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Is No Way To Go Through Life

Posted by Seeking Solace |

OK, so maybe this movie line is not totally accurate. I've had the equivalent of one drink in two years. And, I am pretty sure I am not stupid.

But yes, I am fat.

Actually, according to my BMI, I am just over the line to obese. So is Husband. I think the only one who has maintained a healthy weight and regular exercise is the Boy.

I suppose I could blame this state of affairs on many things, two months of RA flares, the move, insane work hours, eating a whole lot of crap, not taking the time to exercise, and ass-horizontolgy.

I suppose I could make grandiose plan on getting back into the routine that Husband and I carved out two years ago. I lost almost 15 pounds. Husband too. We were lean, mean fighting machines on our way to our goal weight.

I suppose I could say that I am waiting for the Enbrel to kick in, or the semester to slow down, or fill in the blank with whatever else in my life is keeping me from getting off my ass.

I suppose a lot of things. But the truth is, none of them are working.

This morning, once it warmed up a little, I took the Boy for a walk. We did the mile loop around our neighborhood. I really wasn't planning on a walk. But, Husband went on a 12 mile hike with a buddy. He wasn't sure about taking the Boy for such a long hike. Although, I think the Boy would have put both guys to shame.

The Boy was rather miffed at the fact that his Daddy left him. And of course, the Boy takes his frustration to Mommy, who knows the only way the Boy will be a happy and Mommy will get some work done is to take him on leash.

It was a little slow at first. I have not done much exercise since sometime in August. And, I was more focused on the sights and sounds, rather than any fitness goals. The leaves are quite brilliant now in Elsewhere. The sun was shinning that shade of blue that the area is known for. Before I knew it, we had rounded the corner for home.

I don't know how long it took us to walk the mile. I didn't have my watch on and I didn't check the time before I left. Frankly, I didn't really care. For the first time in a while, exercise did not seems like a chore, but actually quite enjoyable.

Now, if I could only bottle that up for the next time.

Seriously though, it's going to be baby steps.

6 comments:

MissDazey said...

Can I join you on taking baby steps? This is a topic I stess about daily. I vent on http://missdazeynotes.com

Rebecca said...

ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto re drinking stupid fat exercise excuses baby steps.

Sigh.

Unfortunately, I can tell that I'm just not ready yet to buckle down to eating right again. I'm in totally the wrong location for that and, once again, I'm not alone. Even more relevant, I'm not anywhere near in the right frame of mind.

Hopefully not too, too long from now. Hopefully.

Seeking Solace said...

Rebecca: Where I live now, it's way to easy to eat garbage food.

Rebecca said...

My problem is not so much the garbage food, although ice cream has been a problem for me for a while now. But I'm in south Louisiana right now and every freaking thing cooked down here is fattening: beans, gumbo, etouffee - plus it's all eaten with rice. Fortunately, I can't cook any of it, otherwise we be eating even more of it. But my mother's family keeps supplying us with all of it, so there's no getting away from it.

Since I have no willpower whatsoever, I literally have to move away from here to stop eating it. Luckily, my motivation for moving away from here is very strong, so I hope it won't be long now.

comebacknikki said...

Figuring out what you want & identifying what's standing in your way is the first step! As you know, I spent years making excuses and finally actually did something about it this year. I won't lie -- it has been a difficult journey (and I will have to remain diligent for the rest of my life so that I don't fall back into bad patterns), but it's all worth it. Good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

I do okay in the food department. With DB I have to basically cut out carbs. And I'm doing very well with that. Lost 60 pounds in 18 months. BUT I still have 30 to go and it ain't goin' nowhere -- at all for months now.

I need to step up the exercise - I do NONE at the moment. But with bad feet, ankles, knees, hips, upper and lower back, neck, and shoulders and hands -- what the hell do you do for exercise?

Not to mention the motivation deal -- the deal is there is none.

*sigh* And now the weather's SO COLD. UGH!

Subscribe