The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Challenge

Posted by Seeking Solace |

The first job I had when I was a lawyer, I replaced a guy who was leaving the firm because he hit his three year mark which meant it was time for him to find another job. He found the after three years at the same job, he would be bored. So, he would move from job to job, trying different areas of law.

When I heard about this, I thought the guy was just a total flake. I was raised with the idea that you get a job and you work for that employer for 20 to 30 years and then retire. Jumping from job to job meant that there is something wrong with you.

That mentality does not work in today's word. Most people have two or three employers during their lifetime. When I look at my own career, legal and academic, I see that I have done the exact same thing. I have never stayed with the same employer for very long. Some cases were not by choice, but others were because I would become bored or just frustrated with not feeling like I am learning or growing in my field. I am the type of person who likes to learn and be challenged by new things.

I have done the academic thing for 7 years now, as an adjunct and a full time instructor. I have moved up the chain to administration, which is a new challenge for me. But, at the same time, I am feeling frustrated and restless with academia. I am not sure if it's my "I've been doing this for too long" thing, but I do feel like something is missing. It is particularly bothersome for me given that I have worked so hard to get to this level.

Since I have a lighter teaching load this term, I am trying to find some projects that I can do to challenge me and give me that kick that I need. I am in the process of revamping my program by setting new standards and expectations, but that just isn't giving me what I need. I have wanted to do more writing, but I don't even have enough hours in the day to tend to my own blog, let alone put together a writing piece suitable for publishing. I have a project that has been gathering dust for over a year now, but I just can't seem to get to it.

I am wondering how everyone else does it. Where do you find the time to do everything and keep yourself challenged?

5 comments:

Seeking Solace said...

Geeka: Yes, I can see myself as ruler of the world. :)

Anonymous said...

I try to implement a new class or some new challenge every semester. I've taught three classes for extra outside of my discipline just for variety. Our workbook projects also provided variety. Changing up the curriculum and reading material helps me out.

I have no new carrot this semester which is too bad. I had a class lined up that I'd never taught before (not specifically that period), but it's not going to make.

I understand the restlessness. I feel plateaued right now.

Anonymous said...

I've worked so many different jobs over the years that a list would fill two pages :-) And I liked them all - for a while. Somehow I always came back to teaching something to someone somewhere. Once I got into online teaching, there was enough variety (classes, type of work, and schools) that I wasn't bored ever. I teach four different subjects at anywhere from two to six different schools. I also write (books, articles, courses, blogs, etc.). I have a book that's just coming out this month and a conference presentation in November. I'm already starting two e-books that I will sell on Kindle sometimes this winter.

I also take classes online (credit) and training provided by local law enforcement onsite at one of the facilities here.

It's all a matter of finding different things to do to keep interest going. Pick and choose things that you want to do. It doesn't have to be work-related. I've recently been interested in dog training and that's been interesting.

Once you find something you like to do, you won't have any trouble finding the time.

rented life said...

On a personal level I need change a lot. Living where I do now is the longest I've lived anywhere in my adult life. Before that I moved every year. I change my hair 1-2 times a year. (Big changes, cut, color, etc.) Something inspires me to change the house we're in now, the garden, anything. I need that challenge, that shift in life. I could very much be someone who changes jobs a lot, if I wasn't such a money concerned person.

I try to allow as many smaller, easier changes as I can: restaurant venues, vacation spots, something I can change at work within my classes. I've changed hobbies a million times because I get bored with them.

If you are the ruler of the world can I be your VP?

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone:

RL: Wait to you see my hair...talk about change!!! Oh, and the Boy will be my VP, but you have a spot in my cabinet!!!

Subscribe