The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, May 24, 2010

New Relationship

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I am starting to get a handle on the whole administrative portion of my job. There is a lot of paperwork and meetings. Of course, there is no guide or template, so I am fumbling through the chaos, but so far so good.

I had to put together my first budget. Not much needed in my department, but I did request that one of my adjuncts be promoted to full time status. She has done a fantastic job in my department and in the Gen Ed department. She is an excellent teacher and the students love her. Plus, with my program growing and enrollment overall growing at the college, she is needed. So, I figured I could split her time between my department and Gen Ed, thereby justifying her full time status. The chair of the Gen Ed department was all for it too. As my program grows, she will take on more courses with me and less with Gen Ed. On Thursday, I found out that my request was approved.

S, my now new full time faculty member, is absolutely thrilled. She does not want to practice law anymore. She loves the law, but just doesn't enjoy the practice (Sound familiar?). She's only been out a couple of years, but she has longed to be an academic. She want me to mentor her on the education aspect, since I have an education degree and background. She wants to use me as her role model!

I am so thrilled. I am thrilled for S because she truly deserves this chance. She has what it takes to really blossom into a great instructor. And, I am so honored to be her mentor. We have a great working relationship. She loves that I am down to earth and open to suggestions by her. I love that she is not afraid to ask me questions and make suggestions. I never want to have an environment where people cannot contribute out of fear. I believe that titles don't mean anything. We are all here for the same reason and we are in it together.

I have a feeling this is going to be the beginning of a great working relationship.

1 comments:

Scrivener said...

This sounds great, seems to me exactly what good bosses do--help good people get more opportunities to do good work for you.

Subscribe