The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Props

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I read the practice briefs that my upper level students prepared for me. I was bracing myself for the worst. The students were afraid of this assignment because they believed that they could not do it. They believed that the did not know how to do it.

I was pleasantly surprised. They were pretty good. There were are couple of briefs that needs some minor revision, but for the most part, the students did very well.

I think what happened in the past was that they were told all negative things about their work. I think their previous instructor expected perfection instead of guiding them and giving them credit for what they did do right.

No wonder they feel so defeated. Wouldn't you?

I have always believed that as an instructor, you have to guide your students to where you want them to be. If you constantly focus on the negative, they will only think negatively. They fail to see that there are small victories in the process of learning. That's why I am such a fan of having my students revise their work without the fear of a grade attached. I want them to focus on leaning the concept and the process. I want to build their confidence so that they will "want" to learn.

I can't wait to tell them tomorrow how proud I am of them. I can't wait to show them how much they really do know. They need to be given credit and see that they can do it.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Your students are lucky to have such a great teacher. I'll bet you anything that they will be motivated and work harder than ever for you once you tell them how proud you are of their work. Good job on your part, as well as theirs. Thrilled to hear you got such a great result.

Brigindo said...

Yay for them and yay for you. I totally agree about guiding your students. I also have a revision or two before a grade and see much better results that way.

Anonymous said...

Good for them! They are lucky to have you. Everyone will be surprised at how much they learn this term. They'll learn more because they won't be afraid to take risks. You won't be surprised again though because you know how to encourage learning! Good going!

Subscribe