The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, February 04, 2010

How Fragile They Are

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Two of my students had emotional meltdowns today. The meltdowns had to do with their program and the way things were handled prior to my arrival on campus. The end result is that it make take a little longer for them to earn their degree.

Also, it has become apparent that my upper level students are lacking the skills they need to progress in the courses I am teaching. This isn't for lack of mastery on their part. It's because it was not taught to them, despite the fact that these skills are required by the college syllabi. The previous instructor just chose not to teach that information or just told the students to figure it out for themselves. This means that I have to teach them the skills they should have learned while trying incorporate the information they need in the current course.

Needless to say, my students are frustrated and fragile. They appear beaten down and ready to give up. I am trying to build them up by giving them the skills they need by breaking down the topics, taking things slowly and offering tutoring. Most of all, I am trying to provide encouragement which was lacking in the past.

I just hope it's not too late.

4 comments:

Mad Hatter said...

I hope your students realize how lucky they are to have you as their teacher!

TiredProf said...

This is a tough situation, but it sounds as if you're handling it beautifully. As Mad Hatter said, your students are very lucky to have you!

Bellona said...

It is your students' greatest blessing to have you to guide them to success.

Weezy said...

Can you possibly put together something a bit remedial? (maybe a casual weekend?) It has the benefits of bringing them up to speed, incredible goodwill from the students, and makes clear the star we all know you are :)

Subscribe