The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Validated

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Today, I had a department meeting with my fellow general studies instructors and the chair of our program. We had a lengthy discussion of what is working and what is not and any issues or concerns that the faculty has.

I spoke up about my frustration with feeling restricted with how I run my course. I was a little worried about speaking up, thinking I was going to get some grief. To my surprise and delight, my faculty peers and my chair were very supportive and understanding. They provided some great suggestions and feedback. It was great to speak to my peers, since I don't have the chance to interact with them on a regular basis.

I was especially impressed with my chair. In the past, we did not see eye-to-eye on a few things. But, after this discussion, I think our misunderstanding was more of a miscommunication. I think she realized my frustration was based on the circumstances surrounding my situation with how I was hired and the fact that I did not receive the normal guidance that a new hire would have received. I realized that my chair has a lot more academic knowledge than I gave her credit. I realize that she has to walk a line between faculty and the administration. To her credit, she has been able to present the things that we as faculty need to the administration in a way that makes them happy. I really admire that.

For the first time since starting New Job, I felt validated. I felt like someone actually heard me and did not brush me off. I appreciated the suggestions and feedback from my peers. I think I established a better relationship with my chair. And, I feel I have a better understanding of what I need to do to make this job work.

5 comments:

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

yay!

Brigindo said...

very cool

jo(e) said...

Hurray for validation!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

YEA!! I'm happy about that -- I think not having sufficient time to connect with peers is the most difficult part of teaching. I'm glad your chair recognizes it and seems to be working around it.

Rebecca said...

That's great. I'm so glad things are finally starting to look up a bit.

Subscribe