The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, November 16, 2009

What Would You Stay?

Posted by Seeking Solace |

B* has a post in which she is asking us to help a fellow blogger with a issue that has plagued all of us. I am not going to name the blogger, just go to the link. I hope you will provide any insight or support.

The issue is that of pseudonymous blogging. The majority of us do this, mainly because it allows us to open and honest about our experience as academics. But being a pseudonymous blogger can be difficult. There is that fear that a student or even a colleague may stumble upon one of our rants or complaints.

For example, I want to write a post about consistency standards, particularly those that tend to restrain academic freedom, which is going at my college. But, I am worried because there are those (Hello...Inside Higher Ed?) who link academic posts. My fear is that someone at New Job would read it and then I would be "outed". Even though I don't name my college, it's location of anything of that sort, there is still that fear.

I supposed the solution could be a password protected blog. But, I fear that no one would see my updates if the used Google Reader or Bloglines, thus losing readers. I think about changing identities or something like that, but that just seems like a hassle.

What to do...what to do.

1 comments:

Karen said...

I like the whole guest posting idea....posting anonymously on someone else's blog. Other people I know have sent email posts to those bloggers whose identities they recognize. It's a conundrum for sure, telling your story vs. not causing yourself trouble.

Subscribe