The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Back In Class

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday, was the first day for my ethics class. It felt so good to be back in front of students again. (Remind me of that when I start grading their work!). They are a nice group of first year studbets, very engaging

I do see where I am going to have to take baby steps. Even though I give them an outline to take notes, so many have trouble knowing what to fill in. I don't have. Time to explain notetaking techniques given that the course is only six weeks. Hopefully, they will pick up on my cues to write stuff down.

Ar any rate, it's good to be back.

2 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

This is a really common problem. When students come to me, I tell them to start by taking reading notes -- write down the main idea of each paragraph or page -- then, when they come to class, try to do the same thing -- every few minutes try to write down the main idea of the class discussion. I'm not sure when I learned to do this -- but, I'm pretty sure it was before college..

AliceAcademic said...

I've had to give similar advice to some of my students, too. I was surprised but I guess I shouldn't be.

I'm so glad to read this and hear that you are enjoying being back and enjoying your students!

Subscribe