The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, October 23, 2009

Another Reason Why Insurance Companies Suck

Posted by Seeking Solace |

My new RA Doc want me to take the injection form of methotrexate instead of the pills. It's a weekly self injection, although in my case, Husband will be sticking me with the needle. My new pal, M, is a nurse and will help him since last week did not go very well. There was screaming and crying on my part.

Sadly, our insurance company does not cover the injection version of the methotrexate. The out of pocket cost was only $20.00, which we can pay. But what if we could not? What if it was $200.00? Or $2000.00?

I don't know who has the answer to the healthcare heinousmess. I don't know what approach is best to fix it. What I do know is that there is some insurance company fat cat who probably thinks I should just take a pill and I will be fine

4 comments:

rented life said...

The only was I can get out of allergy hell (I take medications year round and I still feel like I always have a cold) is to get allergy shots. Prescription medication that will actually work while we go through the shot process (which takes a year) is $100. Insurance won't cover it because there are cheaper ones. Except I've tried all the cheaper ones. ALL of them.

Add to that health insurance is 2/3 of Husband's pay check and you have people who are working really hard long hours to pay for insurance without enough money to pay bills. Something needs to change with insurance companies.

Karen said...

I have insurance woes as well. After 7 months of taking anxiety meds with NO problem, my insurance company suddenly "changed their allowance" and will only cover 1/2 of the dose I need. I'm on the cusp of being able to afford to cover it out of pocket and may need to quit them all together. SO ANNOYING!

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

It's pretty silly, since flares require more treatments and thus cost them money.

Is there any way to appeal the decision?

Seeking Solace said...

I could appeal, but our insurance company is a pain in ass to deal with. We have a flexible spending account, so I just pay the $20.00.

Also, Husband's employer is switching insurance companies, so we will see how that goes. My job's insurance is worse.

Subscribe