The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Monday, August 31, 2009

Deficient

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I received the results of my bloodwork from last weeks Dr's appointment. Everything looked great, cholesterol, sugar...

But, I am vitamin D deficient...again.

I say again because I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Not enough vitamin D in the system.

Why?

Much has to do with the lack of sunshine. If you live in the northeast or spend a lot of time locked in an office with no natural light, you may be deficient and not know it.

Of course, you can take calcium and vitamin D supplements to combat the problem. But, you can also get out and enjoy the sun whenever possible.

Now, I know that's hard, give that summer did not make an appearance this year. And, if you live in a place like Lake Effect Snow Central, you don't see the sun for 9 months out of the year.

Also, we have been programed to lather on the sun block for fear of cancer. Now, I am not suggesting that we should go and barbecue ourselves in the hot blazing sun or worse, use iodine and baby oil to get the perfect tan (That was the custom back in the day). But, perhaps we have gone overboard with the whole notion of staying out of the sun. Most experts say that 10 minutes is sufficient. You can read more here.

So, the next time you are at the doctor's office and bloodwork is ordered, consider getting you vitamin D levels checked.

4 comments:

rented life said...

i think up North we didn't see the sun for 10 months this year. We were robbed half the summer.

That said, a friend of mine had the same problem early this summer and said that Vit D made a huge difference for him!

Jacqueline said...

Hi,

Google led me here as I look for vitamin D deficiency info and I just wanted to leave a quick comment (we've had very little sun here in New England and now as the end of summer approaches, so does any remote chance of soaking up enough direct sunlight to trigger D production). For those interested in testing, this really thorough article pretty much explains exactly who should have it, how testing takes place, and what results mean... From the Women to Women clinic.. To test or not to test — the ABC’s of vitamin D testing and treatment

TiredProf said...

Interesting! Not only does lack of sun and darkness at 4:30 p.m. depress us, but now we find it makes us sick. I usually avoid sunscreen on all but the most awful summer days, but can see how this has changed from when I was a kid. Guess I'll keep walking to work!

Seeking Solace said...

I was kinda hoping that when I left Lake Effect Snow Central, I would leave such things like Vitamin D deficiency behind me.

Subscribe