The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, June 19, 2009

Voices

Posted by Seeking Solace |

In between packing, running to doctor's appointments and other miscellaneous moving-related stuff, I am still looking for a job. I am primarily searching for an academic position, but since beggars can't be choosers, I am also looking for positions in other fields, including law.

The thing is, when I do find something other than law that looks interesting or exciting, I am quite motivated for a little while. Then the doubts start running through my head.

Just an example. I found a position teaching in the field in which I hold a Master's degree. I have not used those skills for at least 15 years. If push came to shove, I could re-learn those skills very quickly. But there's this voice that says, "Do you really want to do that?"

Another example. I found a couple of attorney positions that look really good. They are not traditional litigator positions, but would be full time. Once again, I get all pumped up, even considering transferring my law licence to Yankee Transplant. But once again, the voices in my head say "What about the RA?" and "Do you really want to go there?"

Holding out for the idea job just does not exist. I don't think it ever did. But, as Husband often say, it does not have to be perfect. It just has to have the potential for greatness. But, I just don't know if any of these jobs have that potential for greatness. At the same time, do I let an opportunity pass by because of the voices in my head.

Maybe the best approach is to just hold off on making a decision for a day or two. Let it sink in. Things will look more clear in a day or two.

3 comments:

rented life said...

I am a big fan of sleeping on it. one because I like to sleep and two because if things don't seem obvious the next day then it's telling.

Anonymous said...

I'm also a fan of sleeping on it! But mostly because (1) I'm a procrastinator in decision making and (2) I'm waiting for a lightning strike to make the decision easier :-)

Then there's always my philosophy of what's meant to be, will be. Apply for anything and everything that looks interesting. Job hunting is a numbers game -- the more apps you send out, the better the chances of being in the right place at the right time.

If something takes off, then it was meant to be.

Good luck!!

MissDazey said...

I would think that you have enough to do and think about at this time without the stress of job hunting. After you are settled and comfortable in the new place, then rethink what your next step should be. Also, we all know that a little bit of overwork and stress can set off RA. Be kind to yourself for a few more weeks.

With your experience, education, etc, you have some great choices. Explore the possibilities. Maybe an online, home-based business?

Subscribe