The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Evil Woman

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I wanted to get pair of my favorite sport socks at JC Penny. As I was wandering through the store, I remembered that Sephora was setting up a mini version of it''s store in JC Penny. I took a quite detour to check it out.

I didn't stay long because Sephora is a dangerous place for me. Since I am watching my spending and there was nothing I really needed, I told myself to step away from the cosmetics, get my socks and get moving.

While in the checkout, I mentioned to the clerk how having a Sephora would be dangerous for me. The clerk next to her said "You know, you can use your JC Penny's card at any Sephora located inside a JC Penny's. store. Do you have a JC Penny's card."

"No, I don't." I said.

"And why not?" she asked with a accusatory tone in her voice

"Because I prefer to pay in cash whenever possible." I said

The woman gave me a stare that could freeze hydrogen and checked out the next person.

What the hell?

I get the whole store card thing. I worked in retail and I know about how clerks have to get some many people to sign up for cards. But, I wasn't being mean in my response. Nothing in my tone or body language indicated I was being a smart ass. I was just not interested.

I just don't believe in department store credit cards. In short, they are small part of the reason there is a credit crisis, in my opinion. Their rates are often higher than regular cards. Sure, they give you coupons and offers, but, in the long run, you are not saving as much as you think you do. Also, most places give you coupons if you sign up on line. Bottom line, I try to use cash whenever possible. I have one credit card. That's it. I pay the balance in full every month. That's all I need, all I want and all I will ever have.

Another point, if the woman wanted to get someone to sign up for a card, staring the person down with that same look your mother gives you when you screw up, is not the way to go about it. What's that saying about attracting bees with honey?

3 comments:

rented life said...

Tell her it's because you know they screwed me over years ago. I tell them that every time they ask "No I had one and it SUCKED because you messed up the billing."

RageyOne said...

Wow. Paying in cash - such a novel thought. Perhaps it was foreign to her.

I dislike it when the clerks continue to ask me over and over and over again if I want to apply for a store credit card. Um, what part of "No" do you not understand? Jeesh!

Seeking Solace said...

I know! What part of "No" do people not understand.

When I worked in retail, I would ask only once. If people were interested, then I would go into the spiel. But, if they said "No", that was enough for me.

Subscribe