The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, November 21, 2008

Working the Plan

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I haven't spoken much about my job search. A couple of schools have sent me letters stating that all hiring is on hold because of the uncertainty of the economy. Not surprising as many colleges and universities are implementing mid-year tuition hikes and job cuts.

I have received a few rejection letters without even reaching the point of the initial phone interview. There are just so many applicants trying for so few positions. Everyone is trying to get a piece of what scraps are out there.

Of course I will continue to send out my CV for every job that I am qualified. I have a ton of resources at my disposal and some good leads. But, I think I am going to have to expand my search into other areas. The good thing for me is that I have a law degree and a license. I am looking at jobs where I can utilize those skills. I am not too keen on going back to be a lawyer; I don't think my medical condition would allow me to put up the demands of practice. But, there are non-traditional legal positions that will keep me amused until something in academics opens up.

And there is always the alpaca farm!

In other relocation news, Husband and I are narrowing our choices of where to go. City Data has provided useful information about the places we would like to go. They have a message board section and I have posted some questions about whether the climate would be good for me. One person even gave me a list of RA docs in the area. Very nice. We have also spoken to some of our friends who have been more than helpful in giving us the 411 on everything from housing to jobs.

So, we are moving forward with the plan. Every little step leads us closer to warmer weather!

5 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

I think the combination of your JD/liscence and your teaching experience could lead you to some very interesting positions. I could see you doing some great advocacy work, some public interest law or other work that isn't involved in making other people a ton of money :).

Seeking Solace said...

I've done the advocacy-public intest route. Sadly, it sucked the life out of me.

Prisca said...

What's up with your husband's search? I know you'll find something interesting but is he as flexible?

Seeking Solace said...

It may be possible for him to telecommute with his current job. There are also many opportunities for him. He just wants me to get better! :)

Prisca said...

Such a nice man!!

Subscribe