The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Weekend Update

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday was a bitterly cold day. The joints were not functioning, so I spent most of the day on the couch under my electric blanket. At least today was a little better. Husband and I ventured out to buy a humidifier that was on sale at Target for $30.00. (Sorry no pic because they don't have it on-line, but if you look at your weekly ad, you'll find it).

I am off all this week. Thanksgiving break starts Wednesday. Since I teach Tuesday/Thursday, I cancelled my Tuesday classes because I just know that my students will not show up in the afternoon. In anticipation of this, I doubled up on lectures so that they would stay on track. So I have the entire week to myself.

Husband and I are staying in Lake Effect Snow Central for Thanksgiving. It's just too much of a pain to travel to Redneckville. We can't stay with my mom because she has a cat and Husband is very allergic. The Boy is not welcomed at my in-laws. Also, I am just not comfortable with my in-laws since the Christmas 2006 incident. So, the three of us will be enjoying the day at home, watching the Dog Show and football.

This will be my first Thanksgiving as a returning vegetarian. Husband, who is all carnivore, is totally OK with no turkey this year. We are not doing tofurky either. I am going to make Mushroom, Cheese, and Vegetable Strudel which was featured in Vegetarian Times. (Veggie Times did not have the recipe posted on line, but I did find it on another blog). I am gong to make it without mushrooms, so that I don't have an allergic reaction and spend my holiday in the ER. Of course we are going to have all the other goodies of the season, like stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, rolls, cranberries. Oh, and I can't forget...sweet potato pie for desert!

I am salivating just thinking about it!!!!

5 comments:

dr four eyes said...

I'm making a butternut squash casserole for the Thanksgiving dinner we're going to (joining some local colleagues) and looking forward to that. Oh, and two kinds of cranberry sauce. I'm all about the cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving.

Nice that you're staying home this year. Don't know how your family is about the vegetarian stuff, but I've attended my fair share of Thanksgivings where I spend the whole day defending my choice not to eat meat. Annoying.

Seeking Solace said...

I get reminded how there is no way I get enough protein. :(

Although Husband will always be a meat eater, he has embraced many of my veggie ways and has cut back on is meat consumption.

BrightStar (B*) said...

mmm... the foods you mention sound tasty!

I hope the electric blanket was helpful. Take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for veggie Thanksgiving! Some of Dreena Burton's holiday recipes are posted here- I'm going to make this whole menu (minus the cranberry sauce- I love the sugar-laden-can-shaped stuff). I hope you are feeling better- I think some warmer weather is headed your way, too!

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone!

Addy N: I like the can stuff too!

Subscribe