The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, November 14, 2008

NaBloPoMo 2008: Crazy Prof Edition

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I had two moderate migraines this week, both occurring right after my CT class. I would just pop my meds and I was in bed by 8 PM yesterday and Tuesday. This morning I feel anxious, like mild panic attack anxious. I am trying to relax and calm my mind. Writing seems to help a little.

I shouldn't feel this way. I am leaving my job at the end of the semester, so I shouldn't care so much how things turn out. But, I am just so mentally spent at the moment. This CT class is just sucking the life out of me. It's like they don't care about anything. One of the topics that we discussed yesterday was whether reparations should be made to descendants of slavery. I though for sure that this would be a topic that would lead to a good discussion. It was worse than watching paint dry!

And the TroublemakerItalic student keeps bugging me about when I am going to post on the web blog the final paper for the book I assigned. Oh, so now you are interesting in using the web blog?

Four more classes to go...

By the way, I created a new word

Studicide...the intentional killing of a student with malice. Insanity defense does apply, although I think I could argue justification!

4 comments:

James said...

Wow. I just stumbled across your blog because you mentioned reparations for slavery, which is a topic I often speak to classes about.

I can't believe reparations ended up being a dead topic for your class. Usually there's at least one student who will argue that if all Americans then, and now, have benefited from slavery, then some redress is owed to those who still suffer from slavery's aftereffects. And then the discussion usually comes right to life.

Seeking Solace said...

James: Thank you for your comment. I look forward to reading your blogs.

I tried what you suggested in your comment. I mentioned that my mother's family and my husband's family did not come to the US from Eastern Europe until 1900 and were poor coal miners so why should they have to pay...nothing.

It just seems like my students don't really care much of what is going on in the world today.

Unknown said...

How frustrating! And I love your invented word.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

Can you use videos or some other passive teaching method with them -- really, they are kind of dead anyway -- why waste energy on them?

When I have a class who would rather drool than discuss I formulate a set of questions for them to discuss in small groups --- and I don't help them.

Subscribe