The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, August 28, 2008

I Failed to Mention...

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Another side effect of the Methotrexate is that I will lose some of my hair.

EEP.

I don't know how much hair I stand to lose. From what I have read, it can come out in clumps, similar to a dog shedding.

Great, now I will have something in common with the Boy.

I don't mean to be vain, but I love my hair. It's very think and one of my best features. I cringe at the thought of large clumps of hair falling out.

I feel a little guilty moping about it when one wonderful blogger has handled her hair loss associated with breat cancer with such dignity and grace. If she can handle it, why can't I? Why can't I just accept it?

I wonder if cutting my hair will make it less noticeable. My hair is shoulder length and I was thinking about growing it out a little. I know what I look like with short hair. I had short hair in my teen years and when I first became sick. So, there is no fear of the unknown as far as what I will look like.

I am starting to get scared. I know my health is more important than how I look. But, I didn't realize that I would have such a huge price to pay.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

that sucks. I'm sorry. maybe shorter would make it less noticeable? I have no idea. maybe ItPF has an idea.

Prisca said...

Yep. Can't blame you at all. I wouldn't want to be losing hair, either. I'll just assume you won't and send positive vibes your way.

Arbitrista said...

That totally sucks!

k8 said...

Is this a definite side effect or a maybe side effect?

Either way, this could be an opportunity to play with weaves, wigs, and other fake hair. You could be a woman of mystery, always changing your look! And then there are all of the funky scarves you could wear! If it happens, it probably won't be easy, but you can have fun with it if you like.

Albatross said...

Awww, so sorry to hear that. *hugs*

I think whatever will make you feel best is what you should do. if you love your longer hair you could always wait to see how much you lose then, if it is too much/isn't how you want to look, cut it.

Anonymous said...

Boy, that sounds like some nasty stuff! Maybe you won't have the hair loss at all... Good luck and HUGS!

Circe said...

Hi there,
You would notice long hair more as it comes out, but you'll also be able to do more to hide any thin patches with longer hair, with careful styling and such. Perhaps something close to chin lenght would be a good compromise.

Some of the online info about methotrexate recommends taking a folic acid suppliment to reduce side effects - perhaps you could talk to your doctor about that? I know that methotrexate works on the same enzymatic pathways as folate (which is how it works on cancerous cells which are often very greedy for folate), but perhaps it does something different for RA and you could take the suppliment without worrying about reducing its efficacy. Sorry for the momentary geek-out!

I hope you have none of the side effects and all of the benefit.

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

You are too sweet -- and a lot of my blogging about it was a front -- with the knowledge that it would come back sometime next year... I'm sure I'd have reacted differently if it were a long-term thing.

The first thing you should do -- ASAP -- is to go to a good salon that carries the Nioxin products. They are supposed to help prevent hair loss AND they have styling products for thin hair.

I'd probably go get a pretty short cut, mostly because clumps of long har would be ickier than clumps of short hair.

Also, I went from having a ton of curly hair to shaving it all off because having the hair fall out made me feel really sick -- and being bald is weird, but not the end of the world. If your hair is just really thin, you may not have to have a quick explanation -- but I came up with one because I'd changed so much since last year...

and -- not having hair really isn't the end of the world. It makes getting ready in the morning much easier -- swimming doesn't make me smell like chlorine and I can shower before bed without having to wait for my hair to dry...

Seeking Solace said...

You all are so awesome.

I am going to talk to my RA doc about how much I stand to loose. She did give me a script for folate, so I think that will definitely help. (Thanks KH, for the techie stuff. No apologies needed!)

I am also going to talk to my stylist. She know so much about products and stuff like that too.

comebacknikki said...

Oh, that sucks. :(
(((seeking solace)))

Subscribe