The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, August 29, 2008

Feeling Better about the Hair...For Now

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I spoke to the nurse at my RA doc's office. (My RA doc had to go out of town becuase her father is very ill.) I asked her about the hair loss and how much can I expect. I also wanted to know if I could still color my hair and continue to have my hair straightened twice a year. And of course, I wanted to know if I could use my flat iron.

She was very sympathetic to my concerns. She told me that although I might experience some hair loss, folate will help counter that loss. She did say that I might notice a little more than usual, like a few extra strands. She also said that as long as I follow the medication regiment completely, that's all I should notice. However, every person is different. So, if I notice large clumps of hair, I need to call the office right away.

I did some additional research and found that I do get a significant amount of folate from many of the foods that I eat, which are also part of my vegetarian diet. Yay!!! So with the extra boost from the prescription, I think I should be in good shape.

Also, I use this shampoo and this conditioner which are great for hair that is chemically straightened. I think it will help with my new hair issues too.

I am feeling much better about this for now. I am much more optimistic than I was yesterday.

4 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

The Lanza line is good for the hair you have -- I could be wrong, but I don't think they are formulated for thinning hair... Nioxin has formulas for chemically treated hair and they focus on keeping the hair folicle clean and your scalp as healthy as possible, which both helps you keep the hair you have and grow more. They also have really good styling products that don't weigh your hair down, which is the main problem people with thinning hair have -- they look like they have less hair than they do because it has a chemical build-up...

In a former life, I worked for the people who distributed it to salons -- especially in the education part of the company...so I was really familiar with their classes :).

Seeking Solace said...

I know that Lanza does have a hair thinning line, but I am willing to try what you suggested. Anything to keep the thinning to a minimum.

Thanks again for your input. :)

k8 said...

This sounds promising and definitely manageable! Glad to hear that the hair loss might not be as bad as you thought.

Chaser said...

I'm glad that this is sounding so promising.

Subscribe