The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Dear Mr. Spitzer:

Posted by Seeking Solace |

What the hell were you thinking? How could you piss it all away? Your career, you license to practice law, your marriage, your family, your reputation all flushed down the crapper. Was the thrill worth it?

You were good, too good, in keeping everyone in the dark. No one saw it coming. Who would have thought that you would do something like this? Sure, there are those who found you an arrogant, hard-ass, power hungry prosecutor who took great pleasure in going after business, insurance companies and other so called "enemies", like a dog with a bone. Those in that camp feel that you are getting what you deserve. As the saying goes, "paybacks are a bitch".

There were those that believed in you. Many believed that you were exactly what New York needed in a governor because of your hard edge, kill 'em and grill 'em style seen during your days as a prosecutor and an AG. It was that hope that allowed so many folks pull the lever and give you the right to represent the good citizens of New York.

You took an oath when you were sworn in as an attorney, as an AG and as governor to uphold the law. It didn't say uphold the law, unless you are in political office. It didn't say cry "private mater" when you engage in a illegal activity for which you prosecuted others for engaged. It didn't say cut a deal to save your own ass.

No sir, you did what your did because you truly believed you could.

I don't feel sorry for you. Your "atonement" means nothing. Forgiveness is not even on the radar. There is no rationale explanation, no good reason that you could give that could explain to your family why a man would disrespect them in such a way. You have changed who your daughters are. You can't change them back.

There is no rationale explanation, no good reason for you to destroy the trust and support of the people you swore to represent.

What you have done, is chipped away what little faith remains.

Even more jaded,

Seeking Solace

10 comments:

k8 said...

I genuinely feel bad for his daughters - all teenagers I believe. And his wife, of course. But I keep thinking about being that age and having to deal with this mess.

Addy N. said...

I just don't get why it's so hard for these people to keep it in their pants. Is it *REALLY* that difficult????

Anonymous said...

Well one thing Spitzer did was for all of his self-indulgent narcissism he allowed you to feel self-righteous. I'm sorry you're jaded, but I really think you need to take responsibility for your own outlook on life. Putting the blame for your view on that pathetic politician is a lot like the behavior of a lot of your students whom you complain about here. It's too easy to expect others to take responsibility for their actions and to neglect to take responsibity for our own. I'm speaking as someone who has learned this the hard way.

Arbitrista said...

Dear Anonymous: Are you suggesting that Seeking Solace's disappointment makes her feel happy? Is there something wrong with expressing a hope that people behave in an honorable fashion? And are implying that she is somehow not living up to her own credo? Or do you just enjoy insulting and condescending insinuations? One would think that someone who has learned (it remains unclear what) the "hard way" would have a bit balance.

Arbitrista said...

Seeking Solace: Unfortunately Spitzer was never what he appeared to be. He first won his office for attorney general by some pretty shady maneuvers. That's not to say that we can't be disappointed, only that he was ALREADY a failure as governor through his own reckless high-handedness. If we had a press corps worthy of the name people would have known that. There are much better people out there to invest your hopes in. Don't give up!

Seeking Solace said...

Anonymous:
Arbitrisa hit the nail on the head, but I would like to add my own rant to you comment:

First of all, I truly believe in honestly and integrity, something that Mr. Spritzer and others sadly lack. I feel sorry for you if you believe that such virtues are "self righteous." Perhaps you did have the same home training that I did.

No, I do not pin all of my faith on politicians or others to define my belief in the world. I am simply stating that we as a society have gone to hell in a hand-basket when it comes to living up to our responsibilities.

It sounds to me like you haven't figured that one out yet.

Seeking Solace said...

Arbitrista: Thanks for sticking up for me. You totally rock!

I know Spitzer was a total failure, i.e the driver's license issue and the state police issue. But, I will try to remain hopeful.

k8 said...

I sure didn't notice anything in the tone that sounded particularly gleeful or as if you were engaging in schadenfreude. I don't know what's up with anonymous.

I too think that we should have high expectations for those elected to represent us in government. And I especially expect people who prosecuted criminals to not be criminals. That isn't too much to ask, is it?

Seeking Solace said...

K8: No, it is not too much to ask. Thanks for the support!

Anonymous said...

I too am bewildered by Anonymous' condescending comments. Seeking Solace is "self-righteous" because she expects our elected officials to conduct themselves in a professional and ethical (and not to mention legal) manner?
Then I guess I am also "self-righteous" as well.
I expect more from my elected officials. Eliot Spitzer has disgraced himself, his family and the people of New York.

Subscribe