The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, January 10, 2008

And...Begin

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I just received an email from a student who informed me that she is starting a training program for a new job. Unfortunately, she will miss the first five sessions for one of my writing class. She wants to know if she can have all the assignments so that she does not fall behind.

Um, I just don't know if I can do that. I mean, if she was missing one or two classes, maybe. But FIVE???? She says that if she knew that the training would take up that much time, she would not have signed up for my section. But still, FIVE classes???

Did I mention that the class meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays for an hour and a half? That's huge!

Sigh. Here we go again.

5 comments:

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

For my classes (75 minutes like yours) they get an attendance failure at 4 sessions... that is two full weeks... she needs 2.5 weeks off -- ummm, no.

I'd advise her to drop now -- doing the assignments isn't the same as actually being in class. At a minimum, I wouldn't accept late stuff from her.

k8 said...

That's excessive. Does the department have an attendance policy? In the comp program I teach in, missing 2 weeks of class is an automatic F. You can always explain it to her in terms of what percentage of class she would be missing - many students don't realize that 2 weeks out of fifteen is close to 15% of all class periods. That's a lot in a writing class.

Anonymous said...

5? I got an e-mail at the end of last semester from a student who's missing the first week (so 2 classes) b/c she'll be away.

I would e-mail Dean and see what he says, or if it's the writing class ask MLH. That's just odd.

Seeking Solace said...

RB: Thanks, I just sent them a copy of the email!!!

Anonymous said...

For a writing course? I don't see how she can do well in your class... Yes, she needs to drop.

Subscribe